How do you handle "fighting" leaders

Have #3&4 taken all their training, including BALOO?

If not they can not be registered as the leaders as far as I am concerend.

We had something like this happen when I was in the Pack. leader #1 was over taken by 2&3. 1 finally stepped aside. 2&3 fell on their faces and 1 step back in and picked up the pieces and got the boys to cross over. Of course when that happened they came into the troop. Our SM is a very strong personality. He makes it very clear that he is the SM and that he has 4 ASM that have all taken all the training and that he really does not need more ASMs. That the parents are welcome but that the troop is truly run by the boys and he wants no interference with that. So far we haven't had one problem with a parent. And I love being one of the ASM in the troop.

We had one mother that was a little pushy and he set her up as the person responsible for getting transportation for our 17 boys to and from events.

She is doing a wonderful job.

But my first response to adults that are fighting is normally the overpowering desire to take them out behind the barn and paddle their spoiled little behinds.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynda,

Why would the DLs need to be BALOO trained in order to be registered leaders? As I understand it, BALOO is for Pack-level family camping. I say this as I am bypassing BALOO to get OWL instead. I may eventually get BALOO as well, but all of the information I was given (including from our District Training person) indicated that as long as the Pack as a BALOO trained person on campouts, that was the key.

There is really no requirement that leaders be trained before being registered, but I would certainly expect (as COR, CC or CM) that the DLs go to training as soon as possible (including Outdoor Webelos Den Leader Training) after registration.

Her That Must Be Obeyed, watches soap operas that seem to have less drama than this!

I got lost when we got to #10 or was it #11.. But I never was that bright.

As I see it now we have a Cubmaster that is doing a good Job, at least with leading the Pack meetings.

The Charter is a real mess. I don't care if you have been doing it this way since 1930. The Pack is not self-chartering.

A group of community minded people can get together and charter a unit. One person will be the Executive Officer.

Just as a preacher can have his Son in the pack. So can any Executive Officer. This does not mean that the parents own the pack.

They don't.

The Executive Officer selects a Chartered Organization Representative. This person is the "Middle man". He or She reports to the Executive Officer and works with the Pack Committee. The Executive Officer and the COR, sign off on the application of the Pack Committee Chair. They "Hired" him or her and they can at will remove him or her.

The COR can also be the Pack Committee Chair. In this case the only person within the unit that can remove him or her would be the Executive Officer.

While there might be a person in the wings that has been selected to be the next COR. The BSA does not recognize the position of Assistant Chartered Organization Rep. It does not exist. This person could be a committee member or it could be Joe Blow who has at this time no connection to the pack. The choice is the Executive Officers choice. He does not answer to anyone.

If you want to become a Den Leader or an Assistant Den Leader and work with your spouse, you can. There is no BSA rule to stop you.

But you would have to give up being the COR.

As COR you are just about "Top Dog" you call the shots. Do you want to give this up?

What is best for the pack ? - Please Note I said Pack not Den.

Seems to me that an investment in a few Cub Scout Leader Books would be a good idea. After a good read, if you remain COR it might be time to look at what is best for the pack.

Maybe you and your spouse leading the Den is the best thing or maybe it's time to clean house and be rid of what ever numbers are not doing what is in the best interest of the Cub Scouts.

I would also look at finding a real Chartering Partner, I would think that the District Membership Committee would be able to help.

Eamonn.