Den numbers & Den Flags

I don't think that different Den flags is divisive. I think it looks great! Each Den makes their own flag each year, putting on it what ever they deem important. Some get very creative some are pretty basic. They look great set up by each Den at Pack meetings and the boys love making them!

BTW - Would you say that Boy Scout Patrol flags are divisive? These are usually all hand made and VERY different!

Scoutnut,

I differentiate between the homemade ones and the official ones. The homemade ones involve the boys and start to show a team mentality and personality. I agree, those are great!

I wish we didn't make such a point of differentiating between Tigers, Cubs, and Webelos. The official flags are just one more way we darken the line between those 3 sub-groups -- not to mention the uneccesarily added cost of having to own three flags per Den.

jd

• 1 month later...

My ACM donated some nylon golf flags, they go for about 5 to 8 dollars each. We're going to use fabric paint on them. The dens will chose a mascot and must display their den number, no ranks to fuss with. I personally don't think it takes away from what the Boy Scouts do.

Hi all, Constant budget contraints, we all must deal with them. So we set priorities. I've always promoted the view that advancement not only comes with badges earned as recognition, but also with increased maturity and better behavior (I hope) recognized in every possible way imaginable. So, changing den flags from the Tiger Cub, to the Cub Scout to the Webelos Scout is a subtle recognition. (One pole, three "official" [uniform] flags, three numeral sets; cost spread out over five years, shared by several youth; cheap! [Even if the flags get lost and can't be recycled.]) As far as shirts go, in our Pack, the boys start to grow out of their blue shirts when they reach ten anyway. Our policy is to (please) have a tan shirt by the W2 year (and buy large, lots more growth soon). It can be the Boy Scout shirt, soon.