Blue and Gold overload

This is an excerpt from Baden-Powells book entitled "Aids to Scoutmastership"

The number in a Troop should preferably not exceed thirty-two. I suggest this number because in training boys myself I have found that sixteen was about as many as I could deal with-in getting at and bringing out the individual character in each. I allow for other people being twice as capable as myself and hence the total of thirty-two. Men talk of having fine Troops of 60 or even 100-and their leaders tell me that their boys are equally well trained as in smaller Troops. I express admiration ("admiration" literally translated means "surprise"), and I don't believe them.

"Why worry about individual training?" they ask. Because it is the only way by which you can educate. You can instruct any number of boys, a thousand at a time if you have a loud voice and attractive methods of disciplinary means. But that is not training-it is not education.

Lord Baden-Powell of Gillwell

Aids to Scoutmastership

A guidebook for Scoutmasters on the theory of Scout Training.

Although this excerpt is speaking of a Boy Scout Troop, the same ideas should apply to Cub Scouts. Ever wonder if there are too many in the pack and a sister pack should be birthed?

As you noted, that excerpt was about a Boy Scout Troop. Cub Packs are very, very different from a BS Troop.

They only meet together as a complete group 1X a month. And at this meeting there is no "training" of the boys going on. It is a meeting for fun, recognition, and more fun. The "training" goes on in the individual Dens which usually average only about 6 boys.

While I will grant that 100 boys in a Pack is large number, splitting one that size is not always the answer.