On my way home to check G2SS, & Cub Literature because...

I was asked this evening if Cubs are allowed to "Light campfires". The query came from one who was well awre of their need to know how to build a fire, but had been recently told that Den Chiefs or adult leaders mist strike the match & light the fire.

I'd search the forums but I'm not sure how to limit my search... booley, booley!

Bob

I don't know of any policy preventing Cubs from building fires. It is more a matter of judgement and control.

Our pack is so large it is very difficult to control Cubs tending the camp fire, so we generally limit fire building to the Sr. Webelos and prohibit younger Scouts from working the fire. That has the secondary benefit of becoming a perk for the Webs. If we had a smaller, more managable group, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Knowing fire safety and building a fire is a requirement for the Webelos Outdoorsman pin. While teaching my Webelos fire building I was surprised that none of them could even light a match. With fewer and fewer people smoking and having "don't play with matches" pounded into their heads, none of the boys had ever used a match previously.

I have never seen in black and white where there is an age for fire lighting.

However when I took the old Cub Scout Wood Badge at Hawk Mountain, we were informed by the Cubmaster that as we were "Cub Scouts" we were not allowed to have a fire at our Den Camp site and this was the reason why the Cub Scout course participants didn't cook on the course. I think this might be one of them there Scouting myths and legends.

During my term as a Day Camp program director the Cub Scouts did make twists over an open wood fire. We had a lot of adult supervision. To be really honest the mixing of the flour and the other ingredients caused more of a headache then the fire did. We had some very sticky well floured little fellows.

Eamonn.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-260/chart.html

I was taught to limit firebuilding to Webelos or adult leaders during BALOO. I just looked up the chart we were given (link above), and cooking outdoors & firebuilding are limited to Webelos and older according to the guidelines. The chart starts out with this:

Age- and rank-appropriate guidelines have been developed based on the mental, physical, emotional, and social maturity of Boy Scouts of America youth members. These guidelines apply to Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, Varsity Scout teams, and Venturing crews.

Hope this helps :)

I also know of no policy issue about CS and campfires. Remember that if Cubs are camping, they are under the one-on-one supervision of a parent. With that restriction, if the leader says its OK for the CS to help Dad make the fire then why not? However, in my opinion if would be unwise for the Den Leader to say, come on boys lets build a fire. When they become Webelos, its a different story.

I just saw the chart, thanks Laurie.(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

On lighting matches,

I found working one on one with them was easiest. We practiced lighting a contained candle on the sidewalk.

What fire needs to burn: fuel air energy - where are these three things with a match?

Determining a safe place for a fire and with adult permission and supervision only.

First, what a match is - we compare the two kinds of matches - strike anywhere with two stripes of chemicals, and the "strike on box" kind, with only one chemical.

We used the strike anywhere and struck them on the concrete.

Point: how to hold a burning match. Demonstrate the match going out when held straight up, burning down when held downwards. Never drop a lit match. Keep fingers from burning by turning match upright.

how to protect flame from wind, get the flame to the wick of the candle.

how to put out the match, safe storage of matches, new and used.

There is surprisingly a lot to learn here.

Apologies - just realized I may have posted all this before, last summer.

Anne in Mpls

No offense, Hops. But why? If a scout has his Firem'n Chit, then there should be no reason for him not to be allowed to work with the fire. In fact, it's a good opportunity for you to back off and provide coaching to him in what he does. Then, he will be ready to stand in your shoes someday.

Thanks to all! Especially Laurie for the Age Appropriate Guidelines link. (It seem that the story I heard at Day Camp training about BSA developing guidelines for Slingshots & Rock Throwing might just be true!)

Anne, I had no doubt that cub fire safety had bounced abound before but I had pages of hits. I can handle Venn diagrems, but Boolean searches can send me for a loop. I did cut & paste your match tips.

Thanks again to all.

Bob