Hello,

Our pack has had a problem collecting pack dues for the past few years. I think most of the problem was the treasurer and pack leaders were unwilling to remind people and the parents just forgot. The pack leaders said they should not have to remind. Anyway I have already recruited a new treasurer and someone to be the "collections agent" to call people. I was wondering what other packs do about this. Do people actually pay their pack dues? What rules/guidelines do you have in place to ensure this?

As a side question, it seems to me our pack dues are rather high ($40 including recharter in Feb - they pay dues in Sept). What are your pack dues, what are your other sources of financing and what does the money go for? We have had no acountability in our pack and I am not sure what I am doing yet!

One more -- What do you do about someone who wants to join but can not afford it?

TIA!!

Our pack charges an annual fee each January. This includes rechartering fees, Boy's Life and enough to cover cross-over items. We take the total cost of cross-over items over the life of a cub scout (books, neckerchiefs, etc.), and divide it by 5 (# of years) and come up with an average cost of those items. In the end, it comes out to about $40. We typically "round-up" to the next dollar or two. We don't charge anything other than that for dues, we try to get most of our ongoing operating funds from popcorn proceeds.

As for a family that can't afford it... we seem have one nearly every year. Typically, we tell them to pay when they can. Most eventually will. If they don't it's not a big deal (as long as it continues to only be about 1 a year).

Dues in my old pack were paid either at joining in September or in December for recharter. The full fee was $35 which covered rechartering, Boy's Life and pack dues. If you didn't pay, your son wasn't a member of the BSA or the Pack. Pretty simple.

Now there were a few people who didn't pay on time but they made arrangements so we didn't mind carrying them for a week or two.

We haven't run across someone who wants to join but just flat can't afford it. If we do run into someone who really needs help, we have funds to help them. I believe that Council also has funds available.

$40 a year isn't that bad when you look at what you get. Registration and Boy's Life take nearly $20. Almost every do-hickey that your son gets costs at least $1 and can run up to $2.50. We gave each Cub his new neckerchief every year and the pinewood derby car kit.

We set the Pack dues at $35 including rechartering fees and Boy's Life. We have two fund raisers Popcorn and Scout Fair Tickets. These two fund raisers supplement a lot of the Pack's expenditure (awards, campouts, fun activities, B&G, PWD, etc). If a scout can't afford it, then we use some of our fund raiser fund to provide. If we do not have the fund, we ask the District and then the Council. We have not had any need for it, yet. We collect the dues in Sept for new cubs (prorated until Jan) and recharter in Jan. for the whole Pack for a whole year. If a parent doesn't want to pay, we kindly ask him/her to reconsider because after his/her son's membership expires, we cannot allow the boy to participate in cub scouting due to insurance and liability issue. Usually, the parent pays for it if the boy enjoys scouting.

1Hour

We collect $7.00 per month from Sept.June payable in September. 50% of that collected in each den is available to the DL for materials or costs associated with den activities. The other half goes to the Pack for registration, Boy's Life, insurance and other pack expenses like patches, awards, pinewood derby cars and some money for the B&G. We do the Popcorn fundraiser to supplement our costs.

We do have pretty good accountability with our funds. Some people dont pay up for months. I dont think its an avoidance thing, its just stupidity and laziness. Ultimately, everyone pays.

We have one family with financial issues. Our plan is to let the Pack pay for them if it comes to that, but so far theyve been able meet their obligation to the Pack.

Remember that there is tremendous leeway with respect to Pack financing. I think youll find the responses here are going to be all over the place. Some packs run on a shoestring budget and others run a high end business. Some packs are rabid fundraisers; others refuse to do any fundraising. Just remember that the den leaders should not have to dip into their own pockets to support the den activities. Based on the operation of your pack, each child has some obligation to financially support the Pack. Stay on top of them, have a payment sheet that you can refer back too and show to a parent if they give you a hard time. They belong to the Pack, Scouting isnt a freebee they expect to pay a fee. They expect you to collect the money.

Hmmmmm, interesting replies. I guess I really NEED to find out our financial situation. We did used to pay for Boy's Life and Pinewood Derby cars, but no more (and the dues have gone UP since then!!) Also we pay for no advancement items other than neckercheifs for graduating Tigers. From what I have been told (they are not too forthcoming with the info) we basically pay for awards. There are some supplies, decorations for the B&G, stuff like that. I know we were burned on popcorn money a few years ago (from what I hear the popcorn kernel made off with some money but charges were never pressed) and ever since then I have heard that we are broke. I am totally confused abuot where the money goes, now that I have seen your relies. (oh - den dues are separate as well, our den charges a dollar a week)

Lots to think about, I guess I had better get on it. Thanks!

Our dues vary from year to year, based on the cost of the advancement materials and the other stuff the boys receive. Tigers are cheap as are Webelos IIs due to only being around 6 months. Webelos Is, with all the activity pins they earn are the most expensive. But the average is about $50 per year. Registration, Boys Life and insurance is nearly half that. Through the year each boy gets a PWD and regatta kit and next year's neckerchief. That's another $12 or $15, leaving us only 10 or 12 bucks for advancement and every thing else.

We have a strong popcorn program that pays for all the program costs. Each den leader is budgeted $20 per scout for den materials. At the B&G and spring picnic we pay for the entrees, drinks and incidentals (families only bring side dishes). We pick up the full cost of a summertime pool party (including a meal). We pay all the expenses for pack campouts, usually including food, but will sometimes ask for $3-4 per person if the food cost is getting up there. We don't pay fees for anything like summer camp or district camporees.

Bottom line is at $50 for a 12-month program, our pack dues are the best deal going. You're walking away with nearly half that amount in merchandise. And if you come to many outings at all, you'll easily eat the other half. Compare that to our local sports leagues that charge $75 for a 10-12 week season. You do however, get a "uniform" consisting of a t-shirt and cap which cost maybe $15.

We do not charge any Pack dues at all. All of our operating funds come from our popcorn sale. We have a goal for each boy. The goal can be met by Take-Order sales or by participating in Show & Sell booth sales or both. Many boys meet or exceed their goal.

We pay for all patches, awards, pins, etc. We give each boy their book, scarf, & slide each year. We also give "Mom Ribbons" to the parents. Most Pack events/outing are free to the scout with the rest of the family paying a minimal fee. The Pack presents a haunted house each year to raise food/funds for the food pantry and pays a portion of each den's decorating cost. We pay for any decorations used at Pack meetings. We also have great parents who many times never turn in recipts to get reimbursed and a CO who pays for all recharter/registration fees for all scouts and scouters. The boys and leaders only have to pay their very first National registration and Boys Life fee when they join.

I found a pack website with a very intriguing plan I think just might work for us. I sent the link out to my committee to look at; however for the past 4 or 5 days the link does not work! Is there anyone on here from that pack? It is pack 133 (Long Beach) this is the link. I REALLY would like more info on this plan!!!

www.cubpack133.com/budget.html