Putting program above organization

This message is sent out frustration that I've built up over the past year of being a member of my Pack's Committee. I am finding that the endless "issues" that must be addressed at a Pack level (how to spend Pack Funds; planning the group activities; dealing with requests from District and Council) seriously detract from the basic intent of the Cub Scout program when it is really supposed to "enhance" it. We're a small pack with a small, core team of leaders. All of whom are great but all are finding the administration of running the pack is seriously cutting into our time with our sons on the core elements of the program - i.e. rank requirements, electives, etc...

I'm really finding that when it comes down to it - I like the program but I don't like the organizational structure. Does anybody else feel that way?

"I am finding that the endless "issues" that must be addressed at a Pack level (how to spend Pack Funds; planning the group activities; dealing with requests from District and Council) seriously detract from the basic intent of the Cub Scout program"

Out of curiosity who do you think should be deciding how to spent the funds?

Who should be doing the planning for your pack?

What kind of requests take up so much time?

Have you completed you rbasic training?

BW

Rather than ask more questions, I will try to be helpful and provide some answers. The Pack Committee are the "administrators" of the Pack and the things you mention are their job. There are also what we call "direct contact" leaders, i.e., the Den Leaders and Cubmaster(s) who deal directly with your sons, and who ideally are not also members of the committee. My advice is to decide which you want to do, as you are clearly not happy trying to be both. In any pack, there should be enough adults available to fill all the positions. All of this is explained in the Cub Scout Leader's Book and in the Cub Leader Specific Training.

I agree with Scoutldr. Most of the frustrations you mention are or should be committee "qweep" that shouldn't interfere with program delivery by the DLs and CM. If there's been mission creep and you've inherited it, try to divest it where it belongs -- off the "line" and onto the "staff".

I've been both a Cubmaster and Pack Committee chair; big part of the job was helping people stay in their lanes and focus on what they needed to do. This is pretty simple unless we let it get complicated. Example; watch out for overly complex by-laws -- if the committee wants them to govern their activities, that's fine. But, if I need by-laws to tell me when and how to conduct Troop elections, you don't need by-laws, you need a different Scoutmaster!

More often than not, our frustrations turn out to be self-inflicted wounds. If your committee is acting as "union stewards" to shield the DLs and CM from the administrivia, you're doing them a greater service than you may realize.

KS

While I agree with KS about the role of the committee, the problem appears to be that the originator of the thread is a Committee Member, yet does not want to deal with these issues, so the question posed is appropriate, if he does not want the committee to handle these issues who does he suggest should?

It could that Whomever has the chance to answer his own question.

I'm really finding that when it comes down to it - I like the program but I don't like the organizational structure. Does anybody else feel that way?

Even in a small pack, it is possible to split the program/working directly with the boys from the paperwork/planning. There needs to be some overlap, but it's doable. Our den leaders want to be part of planning and of all committee meetings because they want to be actively involved. However, the committee members (we recruited 2 new people recently who don't mind paperwork and in fact prefer it to working with the boys) fill out the local tour permits, keep minutes, keep the financial records, and the like. If you are having trouble having enough den leaders in addition to having enough committee membes, or if the den paperwork (tracking advancements and dues for instance) is something that a den leader dreads, then invite a parent to help with this during each meeting. This has been very effective for us. But I have to confess: I happen to look at all aspects, even the paperwork, as a way to build up the program, which in turns make for fun for me and the boys, my son included.