Urgent Help Needed

I have come across an interesting situation that I urgently need some advice from the resident scouting professionals on.

A very good friend of mine, who happens to be a cubmaster in another pack here locally, has run into some personal conflicts with the CC in their pack and tempers seem to be flaring.

I was invited to come to their last committee meeting and what I witnessed was completely unbelievable: a disagreement between the CC and the CM that almost resulted in a brawl and police involvement that was initiated by the CC!!

The followint tuesday, the CC informed the CM via a rather opiniated letter that it was the vote of the committee, after reviewing his performance as cubmaster in a "secret" meeting, that he was being informed that he was no longer cubmaster on the authority of the CC and that he was to turn everything he had over and no longer to represent himself as a member of the pack.

Come to find out, only one of the committee members was at this meeting or even knew about it and a DL who didnt like the CM.

My question is this:

1.) Who has the authority to remove the cubmaster from his position?

2.) What is the proper procedure for determining this and how should it be done.

Please, he is a very good person and he has been slandered and had his character attcked by this CC and I would like to help... I just to know more information on the matter.

I am not a professional scouter but I am familiar with the removal process. I trust DSteele to correct me wherever I may err.

Your friend should contact the local District Executive and arrange for a meeting with the Charter Organization Head (IH), and the Charter Organization Representative (COR) as soon as possible.

The CC has input on the adult leadership and is one of two required signatures to approve an adult application but is not the sole authority on removing a leader. The Institution Head or the COR must make the final decision and then notify the council Scout Executive of the decision.

The biggest problem in unit operation is the ability of adults to play nice together.

Bob White

The chartered organization has the ultimate say over questions of unit leadership. Your friend should contact the Chartered organization representative and ask if his dismissal is the decision of the chartered organization. If it is, he needs to move on. If not, the COR needs to deal with the problems in the pack. There are other resources for the COR to avail himself of (the unit commissioner, the district executive, etc.), but ultimately the COR needs to deal with it.

Personally, I wouldn't put up with that junk. I'd move on either way.

Bob White and TwoCubDad are both correct. You need the attention of the chartered organization representative and/or the insitutional head in this matter.

Both Bob White and Twocubdad have provided the techinical answers to your questions.

Also, technically, the DE does not have the authority to remove either leader without the consent of the chartered organization unless they are in violation, or refuse to follow, the policies of the Boy Scouts of America.

I agree with Bob White as well when he said that you need to get in touch with your DE. The DE is the primary profesional contact and may have an outside view of what's going on with this unit that is just far enough away to be unbiased. His/her point of view will end up counting a great deal in the resolution of this conflict even though the primary resolution should fall upon the chartered organization. Do not leave your DE blindsided.

Twocubdad is correct, this is a chartered partner issue. Sometimes, however, the charter partner is unwilling or unable to tackle the issue. If they are, and this matter is serious enough, let me know. I have handled this kind of thing once with the blessing but not the action of the chartered partner.

It worked, but was risky behavior as well -- especially in a one-troop town. I won't go into details other than a private message. The council representative has to sign the charter paperwork, and I once refused to sign or allow anyone else to sigh until all unit leaders and the committee chairman was replaced. The pastor backed up me having my neck on the line and the district and council volunteers backed up me having my neck on the line. The unit shaped up. But it wasn't pretty for a while. Touch and go is the term.

Much better if you can get the charter partner to do it's job.

Get some professional help. Ask your DE.

DS