cub scout parent

My son just started with the cub scouts last year. We got into it pretty late in the year but he did earned his bobcat trail patch. Now, with a whole brand new year of it, Would like to know if anyone can give info over the internet of what patches I need to get for my son, now that he is starting on his wolf badge? Is the only way to know is to contact local scouts in my area?(This message has been edited by emartinez)

The short answer to your question is to go the the "NetCompass" section of this site and click on Advancement then Cub Scout Awards and Rank. There are links to numerous sites that have information on the requirements for each rank (including Wolf) and information on the uniform and what insignia your boy will need.

But the better answer is to get you son his copy of the Wolf handbook. It includes all the information you need. But check with your son's den leader or cubmaster first. There is a new version of the book just out, and for the coming year local units have the option to stick with the old book or move to the new one. Ask to make sure which book your son's den will be using.

The only patches a parent should be getting for a Cub Scout are the insignia that identify your son's unit - the Council Shoulder Patch, the Pack numbers, possibly the Pack service strip, and the World Organization of Scouting Movements badge.

Patches related to rank advancement (the Wolf Badge, Advancement trail beads)are awarded by the Pack when your son complete requirements. Particuipation patches (Pinewood Derby, Cub Olympics, et cetera) are awarded as temporary patches, ususally by the Pack, Disctrict or Council.

Talk to the Cubmaster or your son's den leader. Eithe of them should be able to help you.

You mention contacting local scouts in your area. Are you a registered member of a Cub Scout Pack? Who was your son's Den Leader last year for Tiger Cubs? Cub Scouts is best NOT done as a Lone Scout if at all possible. If you are not a member of a Cub Scout Pack you should call your local Boy Scout Council (they are in the phone book) and ask about nearby Cub Packs.

I guess maybe I'm reading the question a little differently.

What I think I see is the father of a Cub Scout who joined late in the program year, the Cub Scout earned the Bobcat, and the father hasn't purchased the uniform for the kid yet. Now the Cub is looking at going into a chance to earn his wolf and needs a uniform. The father wants to know what patches he should buy with the unifrom so his son looks like the Cub Scout that he is when he goes to his meeting in the fall.

The answer, which has been touched on, is you need to buy a council strip, unit numbers, den number if known, and put them all on the uniform. The World Crest is certainly a highly recommended option. The next logical question would be, where do these badges go?

The inside cover of his Wolf Book will have placement information (or else it's elsewhere in the book, they might have moved it. It's been a while since I looked at one.) Or he can request a Cub Scout uniform inspection sheet (they're free.)

To find out which pack number and den number, call your Cubmaster. I agree with the advice of asking which version of the book to purchase, as well as the advice to contact the local service center.

I'm impressed that someone knew about Lone Cub Scouting. They're exactly right. It is to be used only if there are no other practicle options.

DS

emartinez

Was your son in the Tiger Den last year or the Wolf Den? If he was in the Wolf Den and started late he may not have finished his Wolf rank requirements. He could have finished in the summer, but now that he has started the new year as a Bear Den member, he can't go back and get the Wolf Badge. Check with the Cubmaster and Den Leader from last year. The Pack awards the rank badges.