Am I missing anything in my bear den program?

I'm not getting any kind of feedback from the parents. The boys are having fun and I think they are learning something. I am trying to be happy with that.

Twocubdad,

I wish I could say that I am trained, but I am not. I have made several calls and asked the CM about training. I called the Scout Shop and they gave me someone else to call; I have only gotten an answer at his house once and he wasn't there. The CM said that they only offer Cub leader training once a year and it had been offered before they got us to volunteer to be leaders. But I have done my best to search the internet and find out how things are supposed to be done. And I do my best to offer the boys every chance I can.

I am going to get training before next year. I already promised my son that I would follow him until he got to Boy Scouts. I have another son, who is only 2, so I will be in the Cub Scout program for awhile.

Katrina

Katrina -

The Native Trails District of Buffalo Trace Council is holding training on 02/15/03, at the University of Southern Indiana. Here is the website:

http://members.sigecom.net/bsa156/ntd.html

There is contact information there. Hope you can make it. Every boy deserves a trained leader! Let your council know you want more training opportunities thruout the year!

There is also a new Leave No Trace Award for Cub Scouts. Your council should have information on this.

Here is one link to the document

http://www.horseshoetrail.com/CS~LNT~Revised.pdf

There is also the Crime Prevention award. A description of it is on www.ussp.org

I think the Bear year is about the hardest year to earn the World Conservation Award. It seems even harder than for Webelos to earn it.

All three of these award contain requirements of completing certain Bear achievements and/or electives.

kittle,

Don't give up trying to get training, just because your cubmaster says it isn't available right now. Hogwash! Maybe not in your district, or your council, but there 14 active councils in Illinois and I'll bet one close by is offering the training you want.

Somewhere on the internet, I found an Excel spreadsheet listing all the active BSA councils, as of November 1999 (name, address, phone, website). I'll send you a private message with all the Illnois info and I'll send the spreadsheet to anyone who asks for it.

The message that ScoutNut left for me is our local council. I called the Scout Shop and I have to go into Evansville nest week anyway, so I am going to register then. My mother even said she would babysit for me if my husband has to work. The Illinois Council's are all farther away and Feb. isn't really that far.

Thanks for posting the information for me.

Kittle -

You are most welcome! Glad it helped. I find that keeping an eye on my councils website helps. That, combined with browsing thru flyers at our scout shop, helps me to keep up with what's going on. If I had to wait for our CM I would not have a CLUE! LOL!