Whittling card question

Get them at the scout store or council office. They costs a few pennies each. They are little yellow cards with the rules printed on one side and a place for your signature and the boy's signature. Buy extras.

Many people go by the rule of tearing off a corner if a boy is caught violating the rules of knife safety. When you lose the 4th corner, you lose the card and have to re-earn it.

The proper name is the "Whittling Chip" card. When I bought mine they were five cents each. If you have a good printer go to:

www.geocities.com/~pack215/whittlin-chip378x255.jpg

I think it is legal to copy.

The link given only shows one side of the card. The other side lists the numbered rules the boy agrees to follows -- nice reminders of knife safety.

If you aren't near a scout store, call one, they would probably mail you some.

• 2 years later...

I have been in cub scouts for a long time. I have understood over the years that the boys can not carry their pocketknife until they have earned their whittlin' chip card. I have a den leader that insists that the boys can carry their pocketknife as a wolf because on page 223 in the Wolf book for elective 23(b) the 8 essentials a pocketknife is one of the essentials. I tried explaining that before a wolf can carry a pocketknife they must earn their whittlin' chip card (normally it isn't done until they are a bear). I need hard evidence of when they are suppose to carry a pocketknife. She even asked the "information booth" at CIEC about this and they told her if it is in the book then they can have it. Please help me understand this problem I am having.

Whittlin' Chip Cards are available at your local Scout Shop for 7 cents a piece.

The Card should be given to the Cub Scout at the time he completes the training.

Remember it is a privilege to carry and use a Knife in Scout... not a right.

The program clearly outlines when a Cub Scout can carry and use a Knife.

You Den leader need to look at the actual requirements.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

ScoutMom3,

Take a look at this forum also: RE: Help - knife safety question

Cub Scouts can earn the Whittling Chip at ANY age of Cub Scouting. Are most ready for it before Bear? Many Bear's aren't mature enough to handle it! Where the confusion about it being a Bear activity is that it is part of the elective SHAVINGS AND CHIPS (Bear Handbook -Page 146).

Additionally the Chip only authorizes them to carry a collapsible blade (pocket knife) at "APPROVED" scouting activities. Our pack has very few of these a year and designates them ahead of time (i.e. pack campouts, hikes etc...). Den and Pack meetings are not on our Approved activities list as established by our Pack committee.

I remember many years ago, in Elemrntary school (Early 1990's)... It was still "Cool" for cub scouts to wear there uniforms to school. I remember one scout getting sent home for WEARING HIS KNIFE TO SCHOOL, before a den meeting. Scout was sent home, and lucky that he wasn't expelled. I mention this as a warning, if scouts still wear uniforms to school, it must be re-inforced that Knives are Bad at school.

Jon