My favorite summer camp tale

Here is my favorite story from summer camp. I think it will take a while to top it.

MONDAY NIGHT:

Billy: Can I call my mom?

ASM: No ,weve found thats the worst thing you can do if youre homesick

Billy: (Tears, sniffling, etc.) I really miss my Mom

ASM and Billy have discussion about how its OK to be homesick, everyone is to some extent or another, mom would want him to have a good time at camp, etc.

TUESDAY NIGHT:

Billy: (Tears, sniffling), Can I go home when my mom comes tomorrow?

ASM: No

Billy: Why not?

ASM: Because scout camp lasts for the week, no one goes home before then.

ASM and Billy have discussion about its OK to feel this way, hes worried about mom, moms certainly worried about him, need to focus on the good things going on: merit badges and activities tomorrow, then see mom, then merit badges and activities Thursday, then its downhill from there.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT:

Mom comes for parent night, gives same answers as ASM.

THURSDAY NIGHT:

Billy: (Tears, etc.) I just want to go home.

ASM: Hang in there Billy, think how much you will have accomplished by tomorrow."

FRIDAY NIGHT:

Leaving the ampitheater after final campfire.

Billy: Boy, it feels like we just got here yesterday, I cant wait to come back next year.

ASM: (resisting urge to throttle him) Me too Billy. Me too.

The troop is on a long trip and we've stopped for a quick breakfast at a fast food place. Some of the boys are being mischievous, shooting food at each other through straws or sticking the straws up their noses, etc, that kind of thing. (We're going to clean up the place afterward)

Across the room two girls, about the same age, with their mothers, are watching. Their faces, all of them, express horrified fascination.

I'm in uniform and I mosey over to speak to them. They don't take their eyes off the boys. I smile and say 'good morning' to them and ask permission from the mothers to say a few words to their girls. The mothers nod weakly, perhaps with a little trepidation and I lean over to the girls. I tell them.

"I want you to remember this...someday you're probably going to marry one of those."

The moms snort coffee out their noses and the girls have stunned looks.

My day is complete.

Like all adults trying to run a boy-led program, I often times catch myself slipping into a more directive approach than I should. But, hey, it was the last day of a long Jambo, it was hot and I wasn't in my best mood. :)

The PLs had worked their tails off getting all the boys packed up, tents down, area cleaned up, etc. The 4 adult leaders and 4 scout leaders were sitting by watching this all transpire. PL's were in charge of their patrols.

Because it included my scouts, I was watching the one patrol. Well, after everyone else was done, of course there was still one tent left up, the PL's! Two of my boys started leaving camp and I asked were they were going. They said they were heading up to the bathroom. I gently reminded them that as a patrol their PL helped them, maybe the PL could use a little help. They took the hint and went back to help. The over-worked PL waved them off and said it wasn't necessary. The two boys again headed out and as they passed by, I asked them where they were going. They said they were heading to the bathroom. Deja Vu! I said what about your PL? They said he didn't want any help. I then said, I guess they are going to have to stand there and pee their pants because no one leaves until all the work is done. The deer-in-the-headlights look was precious and I could hear the other leaders snickering. The boys then looked at each other and then without a word, went back to the PL's tent and began taking off the rain fly.

Given the right motivation, any boy can be encouraged to do his fair share. :)

Stosh

OK, here is this years favorite. It is Saturday afternoon a few hours after we had checked in and set up, a young first year camper spots me as he is walking back from the outhouse. He looks at me a says, "Mr. K, the latrines taste funny."

What could I do. I counted to ten and still I blurted out, "well, stop licking'em then."

Poor kid. He saw his error and corrected himself. We did have a good laugh though.