Provisional Camper

Hello All,

I am looking for any helpful information on Provisional Camping. I am looking for a camp in the Northeast section of the states. My son will be a first year camper and unfortunately he can not attend with his troop due to other committments. He still wants to attend so we are in search of another option. Idealistically it would be best if he could attend the last week of June and possibly the first week of July...does anyone have any options for me? Thanks.

Has your son spoken to his Scoutmaster? Most unit leaders want their Scouts to get to camp, especially in that first year, whether it's with the troop or without it, and can point you in the right direction.

I'd start first with your council office. I know that my council camp is completely filled all five weeks, judging by the online signups, but there may be one around you that has some slots open. You can ask your council office for the phone numbers of some neighboring councils. Most council camps do offer provisional camping, though some do limit it to experienced campers.

I recommend you contact your local Council. They will find a spot for him, hopefully with an experienced unit who can handle the "challenges" of a first year camper (homesickness, etc). Over the years, we have had a number of provisionals camp with us. Never had a bad experience. In fact, one of them is now a HS senior and participated in one of our Eagle projects yesterday.

Shortridge and I were typing at the same time...and the same answer! Great minds think alike!(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Welcome to the fire.

Can you narrow down the location to two or three states. I'm here in CT and can also advise on NY and RI.

Personal favorite is C. S. Read Scout reservation in Brant lake NY. It's a great place but a bit too far away from where ever you are for many young scouts on their own.

See http://www.wpcbsa.org/Read/Buckskin/

See also: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=201233

Definitely talk to your SM. He will know of other troops in your area and can find out when those troops are going to camp. Chances are your son will probably know some of the scouts in another Troop, which will make him feel more comfortable about going.