Staff Banquet and Scholarship Awards Night

At one of our Scout Reservations, tonight was the end-of-season staff banquet, year in review shows, and scholarship awards ceremony.

I've seen the young people who work our staffs all summer... generally in their work uniform, often hot and tired, but still giving smiles. Tonight, I saw them cleaned up, in full uniforms. With quiet pride, these young people walked, talked and laughed through an evening. Over the next 2 weeks, they'll scatter to colleges in Missouri, Kansas and farther afield, as well as to high schools throughout the Kansas City metro.

Our Director of Support Services was at the banquet. One of his major comments was he had received fewer complaints this year than in any of the last ten years. He'd also received more praise emails from Scouters and parents.

Then came the good news: Overall, our Council awarded $70,000 in staff scholarships to every young person going for post-secondary training or education. A goodly chunk of that money comes from a growing scholarship endowment, but there was also annual giving as well.

These young people are the result of the Scouting programs. They make me glad to be serving the Grand Game :)

Hat's off to those youth and young adults that serve on summer camp staff! With many other higher paying job options for seasonal work it is surprising that camps still function. Staffers show a dedication to ideals and a passion for the program that is surely needed. I say this as having once served as a youth. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I would have spent more than just one summer at camp.