can someone be a cubmaster and scoutmaster

I don't know of any BSA prohibitions on serving in both capacities. In fact, I know two gentlemen here in Massachusetts who do just that. They're both retired, though, and have ample time to devote to the needs of the positions. As FScouter indicated, it's a whole lot of work to commit yourself to , even if you're blessed with a multitude of others willing to serve as Assistants to you.

Good Luck, but be sure of how much you're biting off, here.

BSA policy prohibits a person from having more than one primary postition, which includes: CM, SM, EA, VA, DL, WDL, and CC.

There are several good reasons for this, 1) Youth Protection, 2) The Shared Leadership concept, 3) too much authority in one person's hands.

If you serve Scouting in that fashion, you will burn out very quickly.

Recruitment of additional adults needs to be paramount in units where this is happening.

Shemgren,

In section 1 of the Guide To Safe Scouting

it states "A unit leader may not serve simultaneously in any other position within the same unit."

The key words being, "in the same unit". although I would never recommend someone to be a Cubmaster and Scoutmaster at the same time, nothing in the scouting regulations, at this time, prohibit it.

Bob White

Thanks for the replies. I am not planning on taking both jobs. But was just woundering if it could be done. I have 6 more years in cub scouts. When one of my kids is getting ready to get out the youngest one will be getting in. So I have alot of more time. Thanks again. Have a great day.