Compiling camp histories

Does anyone out there have advice or suggestions on how to go about compiling a camp history?

I'm looking at starting a Web site, asking for Council records, going through newspaper clippings, approaching former staff members and generally spreading the word, asking for recollections, photos, songbooks, etc.

But I'm wondering if there are any specific techniques that others have used that have worked well.

Depends on whether you're wanting to do this as a report to other troops, as a memory book within your own unit, or as a report to your home council on where you went and how everyone rated the place.

For a council report (especially if you go to an out-of-council summer camp or merit badge activity), or fof an in-house troop report (for troop records or for the committee):

it's helpful to state some of the reasons the boys elected to go elsewhere, outside the council perimeter, within the body of the report text - considerations like "we wanted to camp in the mountains" for a plains area unit, or "this camp offered blacksmithing experiences" are helpful reasons.

Next, state where you all went (name of camp or merit badge activity, town/state location &/or name of foreign council), what activities were most attractive to the group in making their decision to go, how many in the unit went along, how successful the trip was, and whether or not you would make a return trip to repeat the experience.

For a report you intend to submit to a brother or sister troop, or a blog designed to help other units make a decision, name the place you went, the number of kids and adults on the trip, describe the offered or scheduled activities, the amenities, the weather conditions during the time you were there, and the quality of the staff and food service you encountered.

For troop-only record keeping, I like to see the troop scribe and the troop historian pool their respective efforts in documenting troop activities and campouts.

The historian should keep a Troop 'Scrapbook of Activities', and keep everything in chronological order (matching it up to the troop outing chart). For each activity entry, he should label the activity (campout to Lake Wheretheheckarewe, a 5-mile hike, summer camp, car wash fundraiser, etc.), the date of the event, and then document the names of those who were there (youth & adults). The historian is responsible for either taking photos (or ensuring someone else does) and making photo captions (if any). The scrapbook should be brought out and displayed during courts of honor, and when prospective members and their families attend, so that everyone can see what the troop has been doing.

The troop scribe should keep a record of activities and events as a written "History of the Troop". In this, he should also list the names of those who attended, but should approach the activity descriptions a little differently - such as, how successful the activity was, what problems came up and how they were handled, what the good points and bad points were, and a concensus of how many of the attending members would like to see the unit repeat the activity. A comment sheet passed out at the troop meeting immediately following the activity can be set up to ask simple questions like - "Did you like/enjoy this activity?, and state why you liked or disliked it" "Do you have any suggestions to make it better?" "Would you like to see the unit repeat this in the future?" "On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best possible experience, how would you rate this event?"

In terms of having what you call "a specific technique", it should contain the basic Who What Where When & Why information. If the historian and scribe encounter difficulty with the concept of keeping a record the troop can look back on, perhaps an older youth or one of the assistant SM's can oversee the process until the youth gets the hang of it.

A point system can be implemented to help as a learning tool and performance incentive - (1) the youth is on time and is prepared for the meeting or activity - (2) the youth has the proper materials - (3) the youth attended the scheduled activities or made arrangements for a substitute to attend in his place and do his job - (4) the youth presents himself properly attired and equipped for the event (meeting or other activity) according to the dress code of the unit - (5) the youth shows scout spirit. Additional points may be awarded as determined by the SM and CC, depending on the job.

For paper records, I would start with the Council camping committee minutes, board minutes, etc. and look for references to camp operations, authorizations for expenditures, hiring of staff, etc.

Does your council have a newsletter? Go through the back issues (hopefully they kep them), and copy the articles about the camp.

We are in the process of doing a council history book for the 100th anniversary - our techniques are just what you describe. Oral histories are a big deal. Our two biggest camps have staff alumni associations - if yours do as well, then that would be a good place to start for interviews.

See of you can locate the rangers who have worked at the camp. They are going to have good recollections of when buildings were erected, programs started, etc.

Shortridge, I can only wish you luck. Sometimes you find exactly what you need, sometimes you don't. There is a pretty good guide to Scouting research in general at http://westtexasscoutinghistory.net/research.html.

Your best source is probably going to be old-timers. I would talk to the current Scout Exec and see what he knows. Sometimes they have files that have been handed down. Then I would ask him and others who the living oldtimers are and go see them.

Oh yeah, and if you come across any good stories about old time professionals, please send me a PM, I'm researching those guys and won't poach on your history.

PS I couldn't make that link work, but if you type it in your browser it will take you there.