Summer Camp Summary (WARNING--LONG)

Camp Joy 2004

This year, Boy Scout Troop 323 attended Camp Joy near Carlyle, IL. Joy, run by staff from the Okaw Valley Council out of Belleville, IL (www.okawbsa.org), is the councils main Boy Scout camp. Some of the physical features of the camp include being well-sized, a dining hall with room for a couple hundred, a new health lodge, a COPE tower and course including a zip line, and lots of camp sites. Also, it has a lake which includes the waterfront run, this year, by our very own Purcelce. Camp Joy served food restaurant-style where everybody eats each meal in the dining hall. Also, each meal includes songs, Announcements (everybody leave now)J, and lots of sweat.

Offering many merit badges, Camp Joy is run by a dedicated staff that works hard to make things happen so the boys go home with some advancement completed. While there were only a handful of Eagle-required merit badges, many different interests could be satisfied.

My Experience

This year, I was the troop quartermaster while at camp. I also helped supervise the new boys and to run the campsite while the SPL returned home for an evening for a parade. I only attended three classes each day, but each morning was spent challenging others and myself as a part of the COPE experience. I decided to take COPE this year because it was the first year that I went to camp where they offered it. I also wanted to challenge myself plenty and learn as much as possible. COPE was extremely rewarding, I thought, for everybody involved. On Monday, my mom even came out and participated in one challenge. Finally, on Friday, I challenged myself a little more by attempting to climb the toughest side of the tower as well as complete the easiest side blind-folded. I was unsuccessful to complete the fourth side, but was able to climb and then rappel the first side while blindfolded. My time, on the way up, was just over 40 seconds. The tower was about 34 feet or so.

Also, I enrolled in Environmental Science and Rifle Shooting. Sadly, I was unable to complete either one of those merit badges while at camp, but hope to get them done soon so I can advance up to the rank of Life. My Scoutmaster said he was going to try and talk to the Camp Director about seeing if another Scout and I could come back out to camp in the next couple of weeks to try qualifying for shooting. I shot perfect on Friday, but those were the only two targets I was able to qualify on so I need three more still.

Next, I helped with a few flag ceremonies. First, since Monday was Flag Day, we had planned to retire two flags that had become unfit for duty. Turns out that the ceremonies for those were pushed back until Tuesday due to time restraints. To go along with this, we had planned to raise one which was still in shape to fly once more. The rope on our pole in camp was worn and we were going to replace it, but as the new rope was raised up, the knot came out dropping both ropes to the ground. After many attempts to pull it out of the ground failed, I attempted to climb the pole. On the first try, I reached the top, but while trying to place the rope in the eyelet, the rope fell once again. Then, as I began the descent down, I fell about 3 quarters of the way down the pole landing on my ankles and then onto my back. Dont worry, Im fine. My ankles were a little bit sore, but theyre fine now. Finally, one of the other boys was able to get the rope through. The other ceremony I helped with was one in which was hastily prepared for. We found out that we were in charge of closing just about 15 minutes beforehand. And then, we had to run from the campsite to the flagpole in order to be on time. Staff was preparing to do it when we got up there with a bout a minute or 2 to spare. Another older Scout and I took control and got it done properly with compliments from the program director and the rest of the staff.

Also, I was nominated into the Tribe of Manasa. Im not sure of the spelling, but it is similar to Mic o Say, etc. It is to recognize outstanding campers and leaders. The hardest part about it was that we couldnt speak for a day and a half unless safety or health were at stake. This was at the same time we had gotten about an inch of rain!

Next, one thing I forgot to mention Im not a lifeguard, but I played one at campJ Now I better explainJ I went to give Purcelce a little bit of a hard time, etc, and he turns around and puts me to work. It was boring, but didnt really bother me too much. For one hour, I sat up in the tower near the water just keeping watch over the water checking things out. The next hour, I supervised the White area and was in charge of it during Buddy Checks. Mainly, I was just there to add an extra set of eyes on the water.

Purcelce is extremely funny!! Plain and simple. I enjoyed the time I spent around him. The only thing I dont understand he just retired from the Air Force; I thought Air Force people didnt like the waterJ

Anyway, Ive got lots of pictures if anybody would like to see. Ill link them up later.

Overall, camp was a lot of fun though my feet hurt now and Im ready for bed. I just spent the last 30 minutes typing this out.

Hops

I read all of it!!

Sounds as if you had a jolly good time.

Any chance that you can go back for a second week?

I am having a hard time imagining that you didn't talk for a day and a half. But more power to you.

I am really pleased that you had such a good time.

Eamonn.

What is the formal definition of a Scout having a good time at Summer Camp?

See Hop's post!

And what does it have in common with most every poster here who understands the program?

Hops mentioned exactly three specific adults: His mom who came out to have some fun, A Scoutmaster who offered to help Hops accomplish something, and Purcelce, who helped make the week more fun. Not one mention of rules, or adults making boys do what the adults wanted him to do. No mention of adults arranging for a flag ceremony, or fixing the flag pole. The Scouts did those things, as it appears from Hop's post.

And BP smiled...

Mark