I love dutch oven cooking, but if you're in an area with a lot of outdoor fire restrictions, it's not always possible to use on a campout.

Since someone else mentioned the similarity to crock pots, here's something that may wind up my personal chuckbox once they've had a year or two to iron out the kinks:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0043672517643a.shtml

Again the insurance goes up in flames... I'm starting to think there's a version of Godwin's Law for these forums. "As a discussion on scouter.com grows longer, the probability of an admonishment of the potential loss of BSA insurance approaches one."

Can you give me an example of someone who got sued and had to pay because he let Cub Scouts cook and it somehow went horribly wrong?

I think I'll stick with common sense.

More on topic: Our area recently had a burn ban, but we were still allowed to use charcoal.

well now ive done it - theres a 12" lodge logic for just under $40 thats on its way to my office as we speak.

oak tree - as for goodwin's law and dutch ovens (dont want to touch that one with a 1000' pole...combining hitler and ovens)

lets call it jeff's law.

jeff's law states that for every scouter discussion, there is a direct corelation between the length of the conversation and the possibility of losing BSA insurance. :p

Camp Chef is another manufacturer of Dutch ovens:

http://campchef.com/catalog/cat/7/0/0/Dutch+Ovens.html

With the burn bans in effect over the last few years, I invested in their Ultimate Dutch Oven. You can use it on charcoal or on a propane cooker; I use the cooker from my turkey fryer. The "bundt cake pan" design allows it to work as a convection oven, and inde you can place a bundt cake pan in it and cook some great bread or a breakfast ring with biscuits eggs and sausage.

Ed

OK, all you lawyer types. If Bears aren't allowed to cook hot dogs over an open fire, then why does the Bear book show a Bear Scout doing just that? Granted, it is a cartoon drawing, but it clearly shows a Bear Scout with his mom and dad on a campout (tent in background) all cooking hot dogs over a fire. page 106, Achievement #12

Achievement 9g With an adult, cook something outdoors.

One of the two items mentioned is S'Mores, showing a marshmellow on a stick, complete with instruction.

The Camp Chef Ultimate Dutch Oven comes with a lid lifter that fits in the oven. My parents gave me a Lewis and Clark Lodge Dutch oven and a Lodge lifter some time back after a visit to the Lodge factory outlet; the lifter is too long to fit in the oven. One of our assistant Scoutmsters made a number of lifters out of flat stock some time backthey fit in the oven and have a back tang so you can lift the lid firmly.

Ed

"OK, all you lawyer types. If Bears aren't allowed to cook hot dogs over an open fire, then why does the Bear book show a Bear Scout doing just that?"

That's obviously a family outing and the Cub Scout is wearing his uniform out of enthusiasm for the program.

JeffD wrote: "i know lodge is a good name for cast iron - but are others with similar features a good buy also? for example - Cajun Cookware Seasoned Cast Iron Camp Pot W/ Legs - 4.5 Qt. - $20"

As you have seen, Dutch Oven cookware can get pricey. I have never had the funds to invest in a lot of ovens. My first oven was a Lodge and it has served me well. I got a second (both 12 inches) later when I wanted to begin cooking more than one dish at a time. Many recipes are written for 10" - 12" ovens. I find a 12 inch oven makes quite a lot of food for 6 to 8 people. It's about right for 10 people.

I haven't had any experience with any other brand of Dutch Oven so I cannot comment on them. I still use my first Lodge Dutch Oven and it still makes the most delicious cobblers I have ever had.

Eagle Pete

eagle pete - i dont think i will ever regret buying quality equipment :)

i am always looking for deals and sometimes try to make cheaper work (i know the whole thrifty thing - but sometimes it can be taken too far :p) harbor freight has a 10" one for $13 - though some of their stuff is strictly 1 time use only

i have already been challenged to a cooking challenge by another leader who attended baloo with me - she got the same dutch oven, and is as excited as i am to start trying this out. loser cleans up :p

eagle pete - i dont think i will ever regret buying quality equipment :)

i am always looking for deals and sometimes try to make cheaper work (i know the whole thrifty thing - but sometimes it can be taken too far :p) harbor freight has a 10" one for $13 - though some of their stuff is strictly 1 time use only

i have already been challenged to a cooking challenge by another leader who attended baloo with me - she got the same dutch oven, and is as excited as i am to start trying this out. loser cleans up :p

I bought 5 of the DO at Harbor Freight last fall. One for me and 4 for troop. It took a little time to season them but now they do fine. They were much less than Lodge, less than $20 each. I know Lodge is the gold standard, but with proper care, they will do as well.

In fact, we impressed visiting Webelos with brownies in DO a couple of weeks ago. If you are not sure what to do.. check out one of the charts with temp and # of briquettes and use that as a guide. A 12" DO has almost same surface area as 9x13 pan. We just followed directions on box of mix.. 20-25 min at 350.

Is there a way to cook more than 1 type of food in a dutch oven at a time? I am new to this and purchasing several at a shot looks a bit expensive.

Just wondering if there is a way to cook a whole meal in one. I might buy a larger one instead if I can. Thanks!

ScoutDadof5

I am, by no means, an expert dutch oven cook. I have, however, cooked my share of dinners - mainly for family.

Although it may be possible to cook two dishes together in one oven which are complimentary (such as herb chicken and potatoes), you'd be hard pressed to put together an entire meal in only one oven. I have found, for serving 4 or more people (but no more than 10), you will want a minimum of 2 ovens. This will allow for a meat dish and a vegetable dish, cooked simultaneously. You can also, if timed right, pull off a desert like a cobbler, after emptying one of the ovens, but this takes practice, especially when camping.

Also, keep in mind that to accommodate more than one dish, you will make less portions when using only one oven - even with a large oven. You would not gain much by getting a larger oven, as cooking takes much longer and the ovens are more difficult to carry.

Eagle Pete