Which GPS best fits my needs?

I have no GPS experience.

I'm seeking advice on which GPS would best fit my needs.

I want to map equestrian trails at a Scout Camp. I want the ability to download these trail maps to a PC so I can print them out to familiarize new Scouts with the trails. Do the GPS' come with topo maps or do I have to purchase that seperately? With no GPS experience I am seeking something easy to use with a ceiling of about $200. At some later date I may want to use the GPS for hunting, fishing, and hiking as well.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

If you have a local REI, I'd start there.

You can learn the features and prices of the GPS receivers and, most importantly, how to use them. You may find that your current concept of "must have" features isn't entirely accurate.

Ah, the allure of the Great Plastic Sextant.

Like any consumer electronic, the more you pay, the more features you get. Most you will find cool, but unnecessary. I would suggest looking for PC based topo software first that is GPS compatible, like National Geographic Topo!. Then look for an economy GPS that will connect to the PC. All major brands will work. The GPS will download a track to the software and you can view it on the PC. The other nice thing about PC based topo software is you can print a copy of the map for every member of your party. Can't do that with GPS based maps.

Another neat thing you can do with the PC software is set up way-points graphically, then download them to the GPS. Then print the maps for reference on the trail. This can be real handy when climbing mountains as you can tell exactly how far and how long you are from the summit before you get there. Can give some incentive to weary people in your party.

When I first got my system 10 years ago, I used it for back country skiing, backpacking, sailing, mountaineering. Downloaded every route before hand. Then I lost interest and I don't even take my GPS on trips anymore. It just seemed to take some of the adventure out of the trip. Map and compass and a pedometer is just fine for me now.

• 6 months later...

One thing I never really thought about, but realized during our recent lake vacation, is that two GPS units are not necessarily calibrated to each other.

We were renting a house on the lake, and a visitor launched his boat about 5 miles away. To find our location by water, I gave him my exact coordinates, which he then tried to navigate using his GPS. It got him to within about a quarter of a mile, when he called by cell phone and said "I'm right on the coordinates, where are you?" Due to the numerous coves and tree lined shore, line of sight was not possible. He eventually found us, but it wasn't as cut and dried as I expected.

GPS units are not calibrated together, you are correct. But the information they display is interpreted by the datum set they are using.

It is far more likely that you and your friend were using different datum - (the way the satellite signals are interpreted and then displayed by the receiver) than that they were significantly different in what they displayed using the same datum in the same place. I routinely utilize NAD83 or UTM depending on what I am trying to do. Benchmarking or General trail navigation respectively.

I use the Garmin eTrex Vista. It does everything I need. I can upload National Geographic mapsets into it. I can upload or download map data (waypoints, tracks, trails) into Mapping programs. I found mine at Office Depot on sale for under $100.

Most GPS units will require an additional purchase to do topographic work.

I like Garmins MapSource and National Geographic Topo software - The National Geographic is available state by state and allows you to do exactly what I think you are trying to do - create a paper topo map with the trail highlighted. Try online for your GPS unit and Check Bass Pro outlet store for the National Geographic - I got it for about 60% off there.

GPS is great and I occasionally make sure to leave mine behind to ensure that I haven't become dependent on it; but I must make three important points if you are hitting the trail with it.

Know how to use and carry a backup compass with a map and have the paper map for where you are going to be.

Mark your waypoint before you leave your starting point(car, camp, etc.)

Carry extra batteries.