I just return from a 3 day weekend at my cabin, with 6 new Webelos and 1 new Boy Scout (he couldn't make it to the new, Boy Scout's weekend). Sunday, we backpack out to the Nordhouse Sand Dunes, next to Lake Michigan. The Nordhouse is the only Federal Wilderness Area in the lower part of Michigan. It is beautiful. The hike is less than 2 miles, but goes through a lot of loose sand. It is not a easy hike for 9 - 11 year olds, or old men.

I have been taking Webelos backpacking out to the Sand Dunes for at least 30 years. Usually, I have at least one adult that has been out there with me before. However, this year, I was the only one. In fact, the adults with me had never backpack before, or if they did, it was back when they were a Boy Scout.

After breakfast on Sunday, and before we left for Church, I spend over two hours helping everyone pack their backpacks. In my earlier years, I have been a tripping director for a summer camp, so I can furnish all the backpacks, tents, etc., etc., for anyone whose need it. When we finally got out to Lake Michigan, it was late afternoon. I have to help everyone set up their tents - since I was the only one that had every set up the tents before. I help the scouts get water out of Lake Michigan for breakfast. The new Boy Scout and I build the fire, so they can cook over an open fire. Four of the scouts had to take a "dump in the woods" while we were there.

I know it is a great experience for the scouts, and they (and their dads) had a great time. [How many Webelos dens get to go backpacking to such a great place?] But I was very tired! The week before, I had backpack out to the dunes with a Boy Scout group. Only one new scout in that group, had not been backpacking with me before, and he had already been on two other camping trips, since join the troop. It was so much easier. I did not have to do everything!

After backpacking back to the vehicles on Monday, we return to the cabin to pack up (and clean the cabin). On the 200 miles drive home, we stopped and visit our troop. They had started summer camp on Sunday. The way it work out, I had to drive the entire trip home. I spent most of today cleaning and drying three tents, and putting away camping gear.

If my health stay good, I will be ready to do it again next year, with a new group of Webelos. However, today I am wondering if it is worth it?

Is it worth it?

WEll, if you ask them tommorrow, maybe, maybe not.

But in 3 years til the rest of their lives - absolutely! This is something they will always remember.

Plus it is when the Webelos were really boy scouts - even if only in their own minds. They did something they never did as lower ranking cub scouts, but really wanted to.

WE just got back from summer camp where we had to ditch our campsite one night due to severe storms popping up. Tightened everything down and went to the dining hall.

30 minutes later, storm slides by us and we go back to buisness - only 30 minutes later.

SCouts were kinda complaining and fussing about having to walk that hike...twice for nothing!

3 days later at troop meeting back at CO, they are laughing and talking about it like it ws the highlight of the camping trip.

Boys are weird like that! :)

Been there. The drive home was too much for me. I grabbed a Web parent, "You drive, I'm beat." I slept the whole way home in spite of the noisy Webs in the back seat and the requisite ice cream stop.

Delegate. Exhaustion, as we both found, is no fun for us.

My $0.02,

I remember some presentation from my BALOO training (years ago now) that included recommendations on sharing the drive, especially on the way home when people are tired. It was one of the sandwich/safety videos. Anybody else remember this?

Seems to me, it is unwise to expect to do all you did to lead this trip, and be the one to drive home. Delegate and possibly save some lives.

By the way - why don't you get a couple of den chiefs from the troop to go with you next year and help out? Doesn't have to be a one-man show and the Webelos will probably enjoy meeting a couple of the cool older boys in the troop.

When I was a Webelos leader, I did a similar outing that proved to be a memorable experience for the boys as Barry indicates.

There is a large island in the middle of a local lake (about 5 miles from the meeting place). It did have a couple of primitive campsites left by other boaters over the years.

But a 20 minute paddle out to the island with primitive camping was exciting for these boys. Later in life, they compared that weekend to their Philmont experience.

12 boys - all had dads with them.

DL and ADL

2 ad hoc TG/DC scouts to help out.

Dads were not allowed to interfere with the boy's tasks *. They only watched for safety issues, i.e. no one within 15' of the water without a life jacket, etc.

The boys did their own meal planning, did their own cooking and did all the clean up afterwards. This included even the dads' cups and plates.

* Activities included canoeing, swimming, and fishing, all of which needed to be with a buddy and their buddy was their dad. :) Some of the dads had never fished before, but had a great time downing worms with their son.

There were projects that needed to be done. Dig latrine, put up dining fly, etc. roster was in the boy's name, but they could ask their dads for assistance, not in doing, but in helping with the heavy lifting if necessary.

There was a mini-camporee style competition that the dads were not involved in, but help run. Fire-building, first aid, etc.

One family had a huge "circus tent" that all the boys slept in for the night, dads had to fend for themselves. At 10:00 pm, the tent was closed, but the boys could stay up as long as they wanted, or for however long their flashlights held out. The adults went out to the campfire and we realized a storm was rolling in. We hunkered down and ended up with everyone getting drenched. The boys all had dry clothes after the storm passed (Zip-Lock training). Dad's didn't fare as well.

Everyone had a fantastic time, even the dads who had never camped/fished before (and probably never will again!!!!) :)

I would not have attempted such an event

1) unless the boys all had their dads with them,

2) 2 extra experienced Boy Scouts

3) 2 trained Webelos leaders with Boy Scout experience

4) within 10 minutes of being "rescued" had anything seriously gone wrong.

The nice thing about this age, a great adventure doesn't have to involve a lot of risk, just imagination and these kids had plenty of that.

The sad thing about this event was there two dads that made the comment that they liked the event because it was the first time they had done something without the family, just him and his son. It's too bad they waited 10 years to figure this out.

Stosh

To answer Lisabob questions: We left at 9:00 a.m. on Friday. The dad that was going to ride up and back with me, has his own business, and ended up, having to pull an all-nighter Thursday night. Thus, he drove up in his own vehicle later in the day.

We did have a Den Chief with us, Friday to Sunday. On Sunday, his dad took him to Boy Scouts camp. We had 13 people at the cabin Friday and Saturday night. 13 is really, too many for my cabin. I was not going to invited anymore.

I think it is great for a skill and experienced leader to put this program on for their scouts.

The problem is a cube dweller will try to do this and we will end up will lost or dead scouts......

I wonder if a tour plan was filed and if it was approved

Basementdweller,

That's why I put my roster of attendees, every boy had his dad, 2 leaders, trained in Cubbing and Boy Scouts, and extra scouts and we didn't need a tour permit we were within 5-7 miles of our meeting place.

The point I wanted to make is that one does not need to go far to make adventures for Webelos boys. A lot of the boys and their dads had never been camping/fishing, but might have put up a play tent in the back yard once or twice.

This experience, took away the backyard feeling and yet was still in the back yard. :)

Every wife had a tour plan and knew where their husband/son was and the DL/ADL's wives did too. The parents of the two scouts knew all about it when we were leaving, when we would get back, etc.

As a matter of fact, I drive to work from one end of town to the other further than this travel/tour took place. :) for some of these boys, the 10-15 minute paddle over to the island was a thrill. Novice dads paddling might have thought otherwise.

For these boys, the imagination and memories are more grandiose than reality.

You are correct, cubites probably wouldn't have planned such a trip, nor would they be qualified. The council thought the trip was great and recommended it to others if they thought they would be up to it.

If Troop185 has experience with such activities, it's a great resource for others in their council to bounce off ideas for trips of their own.

Stosh