SCUBA Lawsuit Against BSA

I think (and hope) that any parent watching a training session from shore, seeing two adults and two 12 yr old boys scuba dive down, and then only two adults surface would sound the alarm. Common sense.

Yah, I don't think that alarm was needed, eh? I'm sure the adults realized somethin' was wrong right away. A bunch of fools yellin' from da short is only goin' to be a distraction.

As nldscout says, we're probably never goin' to know the details. Things like this settle fairly quickly, and da records are not made public.

B

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At all times a scuba instructor is only seconds away from any scout should assistance be needed. This is why our dive area is clearly marked and the scouts will stay in that area."

Arizona, especially Phoenix, is notorious for backyard drownings...as the annual campaign says, "Two seconds is too long."(This message has been edited by WasE61)

"Seems like there might have been an equipment issue of some sort, perhaps. In that case, da BSA is quite correct in its motion and cross-claim. They relied on da equipment and expertise of the dive instructor and dive shop, who owed a duty of care to all parties."

Buzz.. BSA is culpable because they accepted the services, paid or unpaid, of the dive instructor and dive shop.

It's like hiring a general contractor...he hires the subcontractors. If the subs screw up, you sue the general contractor and THEY sue the sub. The Scout parents contract is with BSA, not the dive instructor/shop.

(This message has been edited by WasE61)

Beav,

The issue isn't the instructors, it's the parents ignoring the abilities of their kids, allowing them to do activities that they should not be doing at specific ages.

It's all about the thrills...wipe out that bucket list before age 20...if you live that long.

The "wider world" has nothing to do with Ziplines, SCUBA and ATV's.

Yah, WasE61, I hear yeh. I agree as well. I've always felt that da purpose of Scouting is not to pursue thrill-seeking. It's to teach bravery and hard work and build confidence as lads face challenges and overcome 'em in the outdoors.

I confess I don't care for zip lines because I think they're mostly an amusement-park type thrill ride, rather than a real scouting activity. Yeh sit there, get strapped into a professional contraption by a trained worker, and take a ride. Big whoop. Yeh haven't really challenged yourself or learned anything, at least not unless yeh had a fear of heights to start, or yeh lashed da zip line together yourself. :)

Certainly it's also up to parents to decide what's appropriate developmentally for their kid and to not live vicarious thrills through their kid, but I'm still havin' a hard time with how a parent who doesn't have any experience with an activity is goin' to make that judgment.

If the subs screw up, you sue the general contractor and THEY sue the sub

Yeh do understand what a cross-claim is, right? :)

Beavah