10yo Cub Saves Life on Canoe Trip

Video:

http://tinyurl.com/7de3cz9

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. - A Minnesota boy is being called a hero after helping save his friend's life during a canoe trip.

The 10-year-old was given a rare national award from the Boy Scouts on Saturday. Being a Cub Scout, he is younger than most who receive it.

In 2010 when Antonio was just nine, he and dad prepared for their first ever canoe trip with friends by using the Boy Scout Canoeing Merit Badge book, practicing with a canoe in a local lake.

Antonio said they went over, "Back strokes, stabilizing and bringing a kid into the boat without swamping... hoping that we wouldn't have to use it." But they did.

Then they went canoeing on the Namekagon River near Hayward with their friends. On the second day of the trip Rocky said, "We came around this blind curve. We saw our friends' canoe had capsized."

A boy, not wearing a lifejacket, had been tossed into the rapids.

Antonio said, "Then I said, 'Let's go Dad!' And then I'm like calling to [the boy] to keep his confidence up and that we were going to be there." Antonio continued, "We went full speed into the rapids."

According to Rocky, "I said, 'Antonio, stabilize the canoe, just like we practiced!"

This does not sound like it was a Scouting trip, just a family and friends trip. The Safety Afloat probably does not apply but could not hurt. I think the boy did really well helping to save a life and deserves the award. This is some of the things we are promoting in scouting, right?