• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been awhile since I've been here, but I have found this thread to be very interesting and informative. Both MomScouter and Bob White recognized an issue in the way this troop is being run that deserves emphasis. It is a small thing, but a sign that someone is either totally ignorant or playing games. That is the fact that the SM uses his own tax ID (ssn) on the bank account. As Bob White says, this is a major no no. Not only could the troop lose all its funds, but the SM could end up in trouble with the IRS. Any time you see this, take it as a danger sign that something is wrong.

Hope you enjoy the walk MomScouter.

Rooster - Just to be clear, the org chart shows the troop committee over the Scoutmaster, not the committee chair.

FScouter,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suspected as much. It appears that some folks see the two (CC and committee) as being the same. Obviously they are not.

One big problem I see here is the scoutmaster has control of the checkbook. If your troop is like ours, it's taken years to build up the equipment and it's a sizable investment. According to BSA, the equipment is owned by the chartered organization. If you own canoes and a trailer, these are covered by the chartering orgainizations insurance policy not the SM. It makes sense when you think about it that the chartering org should own the equipment for situations like this. If ever the troop doesn;t havea treasuer, then the comittee chair should contol the check book and get a treasuer QUICKLY!

It sounds like the committee isn't sure where they stand and what power they have over the SM. I would suggest you contact the council and have a committee traning session and make sure your SM is present. Have a discusion after - Hang in there it's in the best interest of the Troop and charter organization.

MomScouter:

I understand your feelings of frustration completely. My family WALKED last week!!! For different problems but the same issue: a SM who tried to run the show and made obvious mistakes doing so. Our former troop had 33 registered active scouts one year ago. We were down to 14. And now that my son and 2 foster sons have moved on to a much, much greener pasture it is down to 11.

It took us a full year to make the change because like you, I kept hoping and thinking surely this will change - every one of the adult leaders went to the trainings - the same ones my husband and I attended. Why could they not see what was happening? We checked out a couple of troops and asked questions and then just did it. Without going into specifics, there were so many pluses we discovered just at the first meeting and my son was thrilled so I know we made the right choice.

Our Scout Spirit was fading and when we attended the National Jamboree last summer we witnessed scouting at it's best and our spirit was not only renewed it was ignited. We knew then that if things did not change in our troop we were moving on but we hung on to the hope that things would change. Sometimes you have to just make your own changes when you know in your heart it's the right thing!!! Good Luck in your new troop!