I returned from the dust bowl that is Philmont Scout Ranch this year. I developed a cough after about 2 days in the back woods and talked to some staff that had the same issue from the fine dust. I gave up after 3 wks and went to the dr and got an inhaler and have never had breathing problems before and run marathons. Has anyone else had this problem?

It is an unusually bad year for rain and the dust is a problem. I didn't end up with a problem like yours, but the worst for me at Philmont was a dry dusty campsite carpeted with cattle droppings. Every breath of air was filled with a dust from those dried out droppings.

Barry

thanks everyone thats what the dr said to get back in if not better in 10 days. its a weird one I can ride my bike and run and sleep but when I sit up it just closes up but its getting better.

There are actually fairly thick reports about the diseases you can get from breathing dust from manure, etc. Some of them are really dreadful and can kill you. I suspect you'd already be dead if those were what you had, though some of the fungal things can cause you to take on a 'carrier' role. Just take this very seriously. I hope you get well soon.

Edit: ...and give thanks to the countless generations of life forms before you that helped evolve your immune system...and hope that it works.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I do a lot of reenacting and dust in Virginia is horrendous. What we normally do is wear a wet bandana and that negates all breathable dust. Looks like hundreds of people getting ready to rob a bank, but it works great. Normally when it's that dusty, it is also hot and a cool wet cloth on the face is a welcomed addition.

Stosh