Weekend Backpacking menu?????

Reading Calico's post.....onion bagel and peanut butter????? Got me thinking....I wonder what other menu choices for my weekend backpacking trips are available.

Friday we usually eat before we go so it is just gorp or a snack before bed.

Saturday

Breakfast

cereal and bananas

lunch

hudson bay bread peanut butter or spam, cheese tortilla sandwich

apples

Supper

Hot dinner.....

Could be loaded mashed potatos which cheese, chives, bacon bits or ranch dressing mix

Ramen with chicken or spam added or Trail marzeti or spagetti....

little debbie star crunch for desert.

Sunday

breakfast

Tortillas and cheese or cheesy bacon grits or oatmeal with lots of sugar and raisins.

Requirements......Minimum equipment, Minimum clean up.

So what does your menu look like??????

Our last backpacking trip I was the adult grub master. Each adult was provided a bag with everything inside. This allowed them to make a choice on whether to eat lunch A now or lunch B. Our menu:

Sat breakfast

oatmeal

coffee w/mini-moos

Sat lunch (lunch A)

Pita bread

tuna fish packet

relish packet

mayonnaise packet

Snack

GORP

beef jerky

4 clementine oranges

2 hard boiled eggs

peanut butter w/honey packet (just in case they don't like lunch a or b)

Supper

Mountain house freeze dried variety

Sunday breakfast

oatmeal

coffee w/mini-moos

Sun lunch (lunch B)

Pita bread

chicken packet

relish packet

mayonnaise packet

Everyone ate. They had large zip lock bags to store and pack their trash.

Next time I'll be adding some single serve lemonade/gatorade/tea mixes. And not using the Mountain House food.

Adults in our troop split dinner responsibilities, the rest you are on your own.

Typical for me...

Breakfast

Coffee, granola bar, dried fruit

Lunch

MiniGouda cheese, triskets, beef jerky, driect fruit, peanuts

Some Dinners we've done ( all from the grocery store, no freeze dried )

Powdered soup mixes

Boil in bag bread mixes

There is a soy-based taco meatlike product, tastes like the real thing, tortillas, hot sauce packets

Reconstituted meatballs with couscous mix containing pistachio, pine nuts, dried fruit

Swiss meatballs with pasta ( rehydrated meatballs )

Kung Pao chicken using those foil wrapped chicken parts along with fresh veggies

We also bring along fresh garlic, shallots, herbs from my garden, little bottles of olive oil, soy, etc.. for extra flavors.. we adults have a friendly competition and have a lot of fun with it... with the purpose of showing the Scouts that you can do more than just ramen noodles.. ;-)

The menu looks real similar to my normal stuff. For lunch sometinmes us adults will do tortilla and tuna but we'll also take an avocado and add that for flavor and lots of good energy. For dinners, the scouts will sometimes take dried chili called Darn Good Chili. (I think it's from Bear Creek) They'll add some noodles, some dried beef and spices, then cut up some cheddar on top. Mmmm. Darn good!

Here's a trick. Cook the noodles at home, then dehydrate them. They re-cook in just a couple minutes in boiling water. Uses less water and less fuel

• 1 month later...

Nestle Nido whole powerdered milk on cereal with dried fruits.

Boy Favorite...Pizza...pita bread..pepperoni stick...string cheese (good for first day lunch)...individual marinara sauce (from restaurants)...parmasen cheese (from restaurants)

Thanksgiving in a bag...stove top stuffing in ziploac add boiling water and then a foil pack chicken breast...powdered gravy pack in seperate bag poured over

Desert...peach or apprecot cobbler...sweet banak bread from a ziploc on a stick over fire and appricots or peaches with cornstarch in a ziploc with boiling water.

:) I'm not much of a traditionalist but for the weekend I have had:

oatmeal eaten Philmont style

Gaterade powder

beef jerky

string cheese

trail mix

dried fruit

Those are the basics that I munch on while on the trail and in camp if there is no fire available.

In camp, if I have access to firewood, I go with:

Soft-packaged tuna/chicken,

Minute Rice

That's pretty much it. Normally when I backpack, I'm more interested in scenery than I am with fancy meals.

Also I try not to cook in bear country so I don't have such a huge bear bag to run up a tree. Also if I have to carry a bear-proof I don't have to get a really big one.

If I cook, my only "mess kit" is a tin cup and metal spoon. Cook and eat out of the cup.

Stosh

For me a weekend needs two nights out. Get to the trail early and get a few miles in before dusk on Friday.

Friday supper:

Steak, ribeye at least 1/2 lb - grilled over an open bed of coals (steak is frozen but thawed by suppertime)

Baked potato, big one, in those coals, butter, salt, pepper

Fresh tomato, baguette, fresh milk, maybe hot chocolate, really long, deep sleep

paper milk carton is burned, the other waste is small amount of foil and plastic wrapper.

That evening meal serves two purposes: It took up a lot of space in the pack as well as weight. Now the pack is lighter and there was no temptation to fill that space with other gear while I was packing.

Sat breakfast - remember, this is still at the first campsite and serves the same purpose as the previous night

pancakes with the rest of the butter and maple syrup, plenty of it.

Bacon, as much as I dare to carry, possibly use the bacon grease instead of the butter

the syrup is in a container that is now used for clean water or drink mix. Waste consists of small amount of plastic wrap. Utensils are wiped, boiled and then dried. paper towels burned in the fire before it is extinguished.

lunch: very light lunch, gorp, crackers, anything left of the baguette, maybe an energy bar, lots of dilute lemonade or similar drink. Waste is small amount of plastic wrapper.

Sat dinner: rice with chicken or tuna, lots of it. cookies. Lemonade or instant tea. Waste - foil bag. another high-carb, deep sleep.

Sun breakfast: oatmeal (apples and cinnamon or raisins, extra raisins too, brown sugar) hot chocolate. Waste - foil packets or ziplocks.

Sun lunch: dried fruit, nuts, energy bar, whatever is left, tea or lemonade. Waste - perhaps some ziplock bags.

Homeward bound. Pack is a whole lot lighter now. I might not be.

I like to go with freezer bag recipes for dinner (found at trailcooking.com). Breakfast is usually oatmeal and fruit/or fruit bar. I buy the Starkist Lunch To-Go Chunk Light kits for lunch. You can get them at Walmart for around $1.40. I'll also go with a Mountainhouse supper every now and then. We just boil water for our meals.

Supplement with trailmix and dehydrated fruit.