BSA Winter/Gift Catalog - Solar Powered Rechargers

OK. I have been gone for awhile and maybe this has been covered.

But, on pages 36 and 37 of the BSA Winter Gift Catalog is a selection of Solar powered recharing "thingies" (technical term) for "Batteries, GPS Units, Cell Phones and more", hopefully 'and more' was the euphenism used for video games. I don't want to think past them.

Anyway, I know you can't stop progress, but WOW!

From a practical standpoint, I have used them before in the wilderness. Some work great, many don't as well. My favorite was one that layed down the back of the backpack and charged AA batteries. These could then be used to recharge a cell phone (emergencies), replace batteries in 2-way weather radios, SteriPens, GPS units, etc. In practical use, small portable units like this can only be used to charge one item, two MAYBE if you have a long sunny day.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

Okay, assume this is a terrific idea....

how much does it weigh in comparison backup batteries? If I can carry a dozen AAA batteries at less weight than one of these solar rechargers, what would the advantage be? Also assuming that I turn my cell phone on only for emergencies and to check once a day for any incoming messages, I should be able to keep a battery going for a week. I made it through the entire Jambo experience without recharging my battery. That was two weeks.

Stosh

Our original intent with our Jambo troop was to not allow phones. We had a small number of parents go ballistic with the council over not being able to stay in contact with junior. We ended up having to change our policy, but the boys were on their own for recharging. Word had gotten around pre-Jambo about the AT&T charging stations, but I knew (based on porta-potties and pay phones in 2005) that it would be a fiasco using one and I was correct. They were abused and largely unavailalbe and boys spent most of the Jamboree with dead phones. I was the designated blogger for our troop. That was our original plan to keep the helicopter parents satisfied and they did appreciate the updates. I originally investigated using solar power, but quickly realized that they didn't live up to their hype. Many said that they would recharge an iPhone in 8 hours, but the finer print and reviews indicated that the peak sun was from 10 AM until 2 PM and the 8 hours was over a two day period with constant shifting of the panel to keep it pointed directly at the sun. I found a little device that used 4 double AA batteries to charge my iPhone. Trying it at home, I found that alkaline batteries wouldn't fully charge it. I switched to lithium and bingo, I was in business. I could usually get two full charges off of a set of batteries. Someday, solar might become effecient, but for now I will stick with extra batteries.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

http://www.echolink.org/

Now, with a list of repeater stations in your area, with a General license so you can bounce the signal off the atmosphere for longer distance, if you're willing to take along 30 pounds of gear, you too can play World of Warcraft from the top of Mount Whitney or, well, from any almost anywhere. :p

Edit: not that I actually do that.(This message has been edited by BartHumphries)

I recharge my cpap machine batterys with solar....... I have two panels at 10 watts each. The can charge at 1.2 amps minium for bout 5 hours during the day that our campsite gets sun light. my cpap machine uses 400-600 ma to run. During an 8 hour night I use a max of 4.8 amp hours. 5 hours at 1.2 amps gives me 6 amp ours, so no problem.

Battery capacity you ask...... I use two small gell cells that have a capacity of 7.2 amp hours. so I could go for almost three days before a required recharge.

Solar works.....I use it to run my dehumidifier at home. I have 45 watt kit with an inverter. works just fine.