Summer or Winter Camping?

I'll be honest, I am home right now just waiting to end my last two weeks of "disability" before I can go back to work. I am soooo bored too. So I have lots of time to think.

Anyway, I have a thought here. I keep reading about Winter Camping,Polar Camping and just cold stuff in general.

At first, I thought: That's just crazy to go into the cold and camp out. That's what summer is for!

But then,I realize, I actually do like colder weather better, I can layer up and adjust to the temperature as needed. Basically put,I can dress warmer if I need to.

But...I can only take off so much.

The week before my son and I went camping last year, we had a "practice run" in the back yard. That was the first time he ever camped out. The temps dropped to around 35 degrees. I had a 20 degree sleeping bag,and he had a 30 degree sleeping bag.

IT WAS PERFECT!

So one week later, we have our tent all set up in the woods. Bedtime soon arrives. We climb into our bags and roast. It was 69 to 73 degrees depending on who's thermometer you used.

It was awful.

I ended up sleeping on top of my bag and still a bit stuffy in the tent even with rain flap open for ventilation.I wasn't the only adult who woke up in a film of sweat. Aaaaagghh!

So .. I guess I prefer cool/cold weather over warm/hot weather.

How about you?

Cold Weather all the way.

No bugs, no humidity, no roasting to death with no relief in sight.

A chill in the air to remind you that you're alive, and a warm fire to sit around and shoot the... uh... well, you know what it is that gets shot in these instances.

And on a personal note, I hope that whatever was ailing you has been resolved, Scoutfish.

Well in cool or cold temps. obviously there are more ways to regulate your comfort. Summer in Missouri, the heat and especially the humidity are legendary and there is not much of a way to escape it.

Maybe, for me anyway, the big drawback in winter camping is that I drink way too much coffee around the campfire before hitting the sack. Crawling out of a nice, warm sleeping bag once or twice in the middle of the night to go for a "nature" hike....

For myself, that depends. Late Fall to Early Spring for swamp running. Mid Spring to early Fall camping for whitewater, climbing, and generally poking about in the backcountry. Winter camping for sure for desert backpacking, the Mojave can get a little warm in the summer. Love Fall and early Spring for section hiking on either the AT, or PCT.

I too prefer winter camping and it's true you can always add more layers, but can only remove so many in the heat. Were I use to work I was a full service attendant - during the summer times I didn't work too often except to do cleaning because noone wanted me to pump since it was so nice out, but in the winter pretty much all I did was pump fuel. And standing outside in below zero temps for hours at a time has made it so I'm use to the cold weather. before that job I worked in a cooler with pants and short sleeve shirt, the only time that was bad is when my hands got wet.

sadly this year all the winter campouts I also have girl scout things going on that I have to go to. thankfully we got another adult to fill in for my absence because there are some adults that hate to winter camp... though many of them haven't tried it. I think if they tried it they would do it again. key is to have the right clothing, sleeping bag, etc...

As others have mentioned Cold weather rules. Dehydration is more of an issue but just prepare for it.

We are in the middle of a series of hikes, State parks offer a series of 20 winter hikes. My boys and I haven't missed one yet. Winter is much more fun. Snow on the ground, tracks and scat for animal signs. No leaves on trees so you can see and hear the birds better.

Camping is fantastic, no sweaty sleeping bag, campfire nothing better.

Just takes a little more preparation.

Yep winter is a great time to be outdoors.

I think the "winter or summer" answers are skewed depending on where one lives. I've camped in every month. For myself, I don't like to have my face covered so when the temps drop below 20 or so or if it is windy, I don't mind the cold so much but a simple Friday - Sunday camping trip can leave my face fairly windburned and raw. And yes, I know how to prevent it but I just can't stand to cover my face (mask, vaseline, etc.).

I also am not a big fan of heat and humidity, mosquitos, etc. So what I prefer the most is autumn camping (I live in Michigan) where the day's highs are in the 45 - 65F ranges and the nights anywhere from 15 - 40F.

I've camped in 100F and above days with high humidity - heat index above 100 for four or five days straight (2005 Jambo survivor) and on weekends where the highs have been single digits. The one trouble I have with low temps is when the water supply freezes what do you do? It is hard to make a meal when all you have is a solid block of ice inside of a plastic water jug. :(

On the other hand, the only time I had to deal with hypothermia was at summer camp when we had about three straight days of constant rain, high temps in the upper 50s, etc. The boys went through all of their dry clothing, didn't need rain gear (that was for wimps), etc. and if you've ever been wet in 55F weather for 48 hours you get pretty darn cold. I was fine (I had sense to stay dry) but we had to "rescue" of few boys.

So optimum - fall setting, colorful leaves still on the trees, sunny days with highs in the upper 60s. Nights in the lower 40s and it no rain for a few days. All you have to add is well behaved Scouts but I know I'd be asking for too much with that!

Woah. There's a difference? or a 'preference' perhaps?

Interesting thought. Never considered it before...gee - the things you get exposed to on this forum!

I live by this code: 'calories consumed outdoors do not count'.

Need I say anything more?

;-)

Actually, I like camping all year around! Every season has it's good and bad - we just need to be prepared in different ways. Dealing with summertime heat and bugs can be as challenging as trying to stay dry and warm in the winter.

Right now we are teaching the Scouts about cold weather camping, with comfort and survival linked to bringing the right gear, wearing the right clothes, eating the right food, leaving cotton at home, and most important, staying dry!

Ask me now, and I'll tell you I love winter camping because it's exhilarating, builds confidence in boys, and has a beauty all its own. Ask me in the summer and I'll tell you about hikes with amazing views, swimming in mountain lakes, and the joy of summer camp.

Spent almost four years in Alaska as a scout...camped, backpacked, you name it, year round. We went outdoors one weekend a month, as a minimum, regardless of the weather. I thrived on it then...but now? Zero desire to winter camp! I know the tricks of the trade and have picked up many more on this forum...but as I get older, I've got to admit I'm a fair weather camper by druthers.

In my military duties, no problem with any weather extreme, glad to be here/proud to serve! Off duty? I'll go outdoors in any condition, it's just the "druthers" factor again.

Perhaps when I retire and start career number 2 I'll want to get back out in the snow...but for now, Uncle Sam is providing me many opportunities to either be extremely hot or very cold!

• 2 weeks later...

Summer camping! Canoeing, swimming, backpacking, swimming, mosquitos, manhunt, swimming...

On a personal level, I work a different schedule in the summer, so I can go camping every other weekend if I want to. When it comes to Scouts, the summer is the time that we get to camping for a week straight. When I was a Scout, I couldn't wait to escape my parents for that week and (if we had an extra good trip) be somewhere that the leaders would have trouble finding us too. Now that I'm a leader, its great because there are no sports excuses, no "its too cold" excuses, and even though I'm older I still get that week escaping from the world.

I'm not too picky, but there better be a lake or river to take a dip in if the weather is too hot.

A local troop offers an outdoor winter seminar for all the cubs each year. The troop camps the whole weekend but cubs and their families are welcome to camp the night if they desire. This year my 4 yr old son tagged along and he didn't want to go home, he enjoyed it so much. Of course, it only got down to 25 degrees.

I think a lot does depend on what neck of the woods you are in. Here in Eastern Washington people start wearing shorts and sandals if the temps are above 40 in the winter. When I lived in New Mexico, 60 degrees was heavy jacket weather!

I kinda like it all. By the time summer is over I'm ready for the cold weather camping and vice versa. Lucky for us on a winter campout it is unlikely to get below 20 at night and that's not too bad with the right gear. In the summer when we camp there is always water involved. Either canoeing, white water or a campsite with a good swim area.