Camping ideas in Western NC

We are looking to do a non traditional summer camp with our boys next year. I'm looking for a camp ground in or around the Cherokee area of NC. Two years ago we did a camp in Racoon Mt. Tenn. The camp grounds offered several merit badges for the boys to earn during the week as well as having some fun activities that the boys enjoyed. The boys were also able to earn their railroading merit badge while we were there. Does anyone know of a campground in this area that the boys could camp and earn merit badges as well?

Thanks in advance.

I know that you are looking for Western NC, but here are some Eastern NC thoughts.

Have you ever thought about going on a high advaenture trip. There is a camp in eastern NC that offers traditional Summer Camp right next to a High adventure Base. Your older scouts can kayak the outerbanks for a week while the new scouts complete some meritbadges and First year scouter skills back at camp. There are also other types of high adventure programs there too

Just in case you were wondering, you can walk from one to another in about 10-15 minutes depending on your pace.

Here are some links for you.

http://www.campbonner.org/

http://www.pamlicoseabase.org/main.html

Hope these Help

My husband used to advise the Geology Merit Badge. The troop he worked with always camped near the Pisgah Cradle of Forestry in the Dupont Forest area. I'd also propose checking out Chimney Rock State Park http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/education/scout.php. They put on Scout Days and also offer year round programs that can be tuned to merit badges if desired. Excellent hiking. Primitive group camping areas. Rock-climbing (on rock not a wall!) can be arranged with Fox Mountain Guides http://www.foxmountainguides.com/Boy%20Scouts%20Girl%20Scouts%20Rock%20Climbing.htm and you are also near a plethora of white water rafting/kayaking outfitters. It is 25 miles SE of Asheville, NC.

Hobcaw had some great suggestions that are among my favorites as well. In addition you should consider the Shining Rock Wilderness area or if you want a regular campground, some of the park campgrounds off the Blue Ridge Parkway. If I read you correctly, you're looking for something a bit cooler at higher altitudes.

So it depends on how primitive you want to make it. If you are willing to go really primitive, there are many alternatives along trails that go along cool, refreshing rivers. The Chattooga River trial and the Foothills Trail both some to mind. There are plenty of other alternatives as well. The Bartram Trail, the AT, etc. If you go to Otto, NC and turn off Hwy 441 up to Coweeta Hydrologic Lab, you can take a long gravel road all the way up to the crest of the AT near Albert Mtn. Just off the Coweeta Hydrologic Lab boundary (no camping allowed) there are some grassy fields and clearings that you could set up in. You can get water from a spring near the trail head going up to the Albert Mountain fire tower. Not too far from there, on the AT, there is a trail shelter. Like I said, there are so many possibilities. It is paradise.

• 5 months later...

Try camping at Deep Creek Campground, part of the Great Smokies National Park. Great place for a base camp, car camping with access to Deep Creek, tube floating, lots of white water rafting companies nearby for a day of white water, plenty of trails in and around Deep Creek for hiking and mountain biking...Coal Fired Steam Engine train ride outside the campground, close to Cherokee, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest....

What Packsaddle said . . . plus:

Camp Rainey Mountain in NE Georgia offers COPE, traditional camping as well as a 50 miler on area trails Packsaddle mentioned plus the Bartam Trail he and I hiked a couple of miles about 2 years ago, lots of options.

Enjoy!

Looks like this is an old thread, but I will make a suggestion anyway. Try Standing Indian Campground (Kimsey Creek Group Camp). This is located just west of Franklin NC near a little community called Rainbow Springs (on Google Earth). It is near the headwaters of the Nantahala river in the Nantahala National Forest. The group camp is right along the river at the far end of the campground, removed from the RV area. What makes this camp unique is that it has hot showers. If this is too fancy for you, just a mile or so up the unpaved road which goes around Albert Mountain is Hurricane Primitive camp. The hiking trails in the area are numberous and much less traveled than those in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park; the AT crosses the road twice (south and north of Albert Mountain). See the map at http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/nantfac.html.

Merit Badges are not offered, but this is not far from the areas of gem mining (Geology), and just the other side of Albert mountain is an experiemental forest laboratory (Forestry and Fish and Wildlife Management) station. Certainly there is plenty of hiking, even an opportunity to hike local trails and the AT. The Smoky Mountain Railroad is just an 45 minute drive north (Railroading). If you want to be creative, this could be one of the best areas to conduct your own Summer Camp.

This is probably too late to use this year, but hopefully others may find it useful.

Our family camped at Standing Indian 2 summers ago--it was the best little gem of a campgound and area we have ever found. Don't think I haven't though about bringing the troop up here for a camp before. I would love for our troop to evolve into being able to do something like this.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)