BSA compass pointing south instead of north

I wholeheartedly agree that a compass can be a great thing to bring along while on vacation.

I bring a little Brunton 9020G when I go to places like Disney World and Sea World (and most other 'Worlds' such as zoos and museums). That model of compass is very 'pocketable'.

I'm not sure why, but I find such places very confusing, and by combining the compass with the little maps the 'Worlds' provide I do sooo much better.

As for the Shout Wipes ... sometimes I think I'd be better off with an adult-sized bib.

Magnetic polarity has been known to shift/reverse in even the most expensive or rugged, and even military compasses.

That's why it is important to check your compass BEFORE ANY outing.

That said, how close together were you standing, did one of you have any significant metal in your pack?

When taking "accurate" bearings for military use, one(used to) drop their pack(metal frame, metal shovel, extra ammo, various implements), drop the web gear( ammo, knife, etc.) and step at least 8-10 feet away from their weapon and anyone else (which still only minimized it's influence).

Any metal in the area, fence line, water pipe(even buried) can have an influence on your compass reading.

And as noted by one above, doing your planning on the car/truck hood is just not thinking about the situation... but funny as long as it's not me, and caught before stepping off by whoever it is.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, had to take off the steel pot helmet too... yes I AM that old...(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Disney World I've never had a problem with. On the rare occasions I've had need to pull out the park map, I'm able to visually orient it based on "landmarks". Just remember, the Castle is in the middle and everything else fans out from there.

But then I've always been good with maps, and I've found GPS advice while driving to be more confusing than anything else. I still end up with turn by turn maps for driving, only because my wife is the navigator 90% of the time we travel and I'm the driver.

A little observation goes a long way. If a city has an easy road system, like Manhattan (north of Canal St) or here in St. Petersburg, you should never get lost and shouldn't even need a map, and yet people do. That always baffles me.

But I'm talking urban environments. Backcountry orienteering requires a stronger knowledge of the skill set and tools.

As for the compass I use, it's the same cheapo Silva plastic compass I've had since I was about 12 when I earned Orienteering merit badge.

I have one of those BSA compasses that points the wrong way. Every once in a while I "forget" about that and let it come into play when the scouts are working with maps. Once it is discovered back into hiding it goes.

AK-Eagle

Twocubdad said: "The same is true with nails. When you buy a box of nails, you'll notice half of them have the heads on the wrong end. Those are for use on the other side of the wall."

How do you tell which nails have the head on the wrong side?

As to the compass, I have seen it where the manufacturer put the compass card in the compass backwards, or twisted weirdly. That's just human error.