Tour Permit for camporee?

All right, I know, tour permits have been beaten to death recently. However, does a unit need to submit a tour permit to attend a camporee in its own district? I actually asked the question during the "indoor" phase of training so everyone could benefit. We were told by the trainer that you did not need to do a permit since you were at a district/council sponsored event. I can't seem to locate this exact reference in the literature out there. I know one of the answers will be, "When in doubt, fill it out," so let's skip that answer...

I think the answer is highly district or council dependent.

For our council in NJ, the answer would be "yes." We do require tour permits for camporees. It seems a little silly, since we are doing tons of other paperwork for the exact same trip with the same people, but that's what they want.

On the good side, it takes me around 3 minutes to fill in the form, sign it (if I am a trip leader), email it to a committee member, get it back from them and send it off to the council, and then I usually get the approved permit back within 4-6 hours!

-Melgamatic

I concur that it seems to vary by district and council. Our district in a different council in Southern California required tour permits for camporee. We moved from there in 1996. I do not know what their current requirements are.

The district where we now reside does not require tour permits for camporee. The same argument about a "council event" not requiring tour permits applies here.

Our council did last year for camporee. It seemed like the right hand might not have known what the left hand was doing.

Say, how do you email a signed signature form? Do you use a scanner, and do all your adults have scanners they can use after they sign the forms?

We have to fax ours. We cannot do it from our troop meetings (no internet), but next day is ok.

Oh, and I forgot; in our council the Tour permit is required to pass the check-in/registration point when you arrive at Council events.

No Tour Permit, you get turned around just like not having a physical filled out when arriving at Summer Camp. So if you didn't have two registered members who can sign the Tour permit in the traveling crew you'll be going back or having a Committee member drive out.

Weird, but definitely holding the line on Tour Permits.