Troop/Patrol Activites

The definition of "Troop/Patrol Activities". One of the requirement for Second Class reads:

"Since joining, have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight."

Some troops insist that organized activities such as summer camp and Camporee's DO NOT satisfy this requirement since our troop is not doing these things independently. Seems that any activity in which the troop or a patrol participates as a unit would qualify. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Like has been said before, if it is a planned troop or patrol event open to every Scout in the troop/patrol, then it should be allowed. The mode of thinking prescribed above would mean that attending a National Scout Jamboree wouldn't be regarded as fulfilling that requirement, while a troop's local day hike to a nearby state park would. It doesn't make sense to me.

Please do not let my "New member" under my name mislead you and maybe I should explain the breakdown of counting it or not counting it as I remember it.

counts:

if the Troop or Patrols has to plan a duty roster with tent assignments and KP duty (plan meals/shop)

Does not count:

if it is a family fun weekend were the only thing the scout has to worry about is on to get there and back.

I do believe a Camporee and/or Scout Jamboree counts for nights on a camp out.

But it is really left up to you. If a scout is looking for an easy way to advance and the Camporee ro summercamp is the only event he attends you may want to reevaluate you options. If he is a Scout that attends every event and is 100% dedicated you my want to give it to him.

Hope this clears up my input