100 days and nights of camping question

The boy scout trail list of things that would qualify as camping makes sense. Your unit could probably edit that list to fit your needs, that makes logical sense, and then the key is to apply it equitably to all scouts in the unit. Things count or don't count, don't be wishy washy, that's when parents get upset, to see something done differently for their kid than other kids.

It's a boy scout award IMHO, it's not mentioned as an award available for cubs in any of my cub scout literature. I would probably not count cub scout camping. I'd say if you need to count the 4-5 nights of webelos encampment/woods type camping or the pack overnighters 1-2 nights a year to get the award, fine. But why not just wait another couple months and get the camping nights in as a boy scout?

for my unit, I would count nights in a tent. If a CIT or camp counselor actually camps all those nights of summer camp, I'd count them. Of course my oldest is CIT at summer camp for this summer again, and does get the luxury of a lamp and alarm clock with electricity in his wall tent he sleeps in on a wooden platform.

It's a boy scout award IMHO, it's not mentioned as an award available for cubs

YHO doesn't matter. Either the official regs state the award is exclusive to troops or it does not.

If you have a cub who's racked up 100 nights camping, give him the award for crying out loud!

That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to punch cub camp in the troopmaster.

well of course if a cubbie has camped 100 nights I'd give him the patch that is available at the scout shop. but that is going to be very very unlikely IMHO, and that patch is not necessarily an "award" since the one at our scout shop is totally unregulated as a temporary patch.

like I said I might count cub camping to get the award for a boy scout, but I wouldn't track cub camping for this award. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Youth/Awards/NOA.aspx

since it says it's for boy scouts and venturers.

This thread is over 3 years old.

The information on the Boy Scout Trail site is outdated, and incorrect. As of August 2010, BSA has a new National Outdoor award program that is ONLY for Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts. The link 5year provided, at the National BSA site, -

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Youth/Awards/NOA.aspx

is the correct one.

gpronger - As only 5 nights of resident camping are allowed, I would count either 5 nights as counselor, or CIT, at summer camp, or 5 nights as a camper with the Troop at summer camp, not both, and not for the entire summer.

(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

As only 5 nights of resident camping are allowed, I would count either 5 nights as counselor, or CIT, at summer camp, or 5 nights as a camper with the Troop at summer camp, not both, and not for the entire summer.

That's for the first 25 nights. Would you count them for the additional 25 toward their gold device(s)? I'd be inclined to say yes.