Trip to USS Yorktown - looking for adventure on the way - going through Northern Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and home through Tennessee

Hi to all-

We are going to the USS Yorktown in July '07 and will be going through the Northern part of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. After our stay on the Yorktown we will be spending a couple of nights at a cabin in Tennessee. I do not know what roads we are traveling but we wanted to take the scenic route with frequent stops. If you live in any of these areas or know of some fun things the scouts would like to do....any help would be appreciated.

We are staying at Scout Camps along the way and back. Camp Yocona - Pontotoc MS, Camp Bert Adams - Atlanta GA, Camp Mack Morris - Camden TN.

Looking for things to do

Between Springfield, MO and Pontotoc, MS

Between Pontotoc,MS and Atlanta, GA.

Between Atlanta, Ga and Mt.Pleasant, SC.

Things to do around Mt. Pleasant, SC

Between Mt. Pleasant, SC and Pigeon Forge, TN

Things to do around Pigeon Forge, TN (we are staying at a cabin for 2-3 nights)

Between Pigeon Forge, TN and Camden, TN

I have searched the net endlessly and have found somethings but....sometimes things sound better on paper then what they actually are.

We polled the scouts and they wanted to do things like - fishing, caving, horseback riding, bicycling, white water rafting. I found a place in Erwin TN to do rafting (Cherokee Adventures) but I don't know if their is something closer to Pigeon Forge.

Thanks for any help...

Krippe,

Welcome to the forums!

Memphis TN has Mud Island, a scale model of the Mississippi river.

Memphis also has Graceland and minor league baseball.

Tupelos MS has the birthplace of Elvis.

Huntsville, AL has the space camp and the Redstone Army Arsenal will allow camping, probably for free and you can get meals in the mess hall for about $5 per day, not per meal.

Whitewater rafting is available on the Ocoee River in east Tennessee.

Atlanta has the Atlanta Braves and the new aquarium.

Helen, GA has two tubing outfitters on the Chattahooche river, a nice lazy float on cool water, very affordable, takes about 2 1/2 hours. Helen is about 75 miles northeast of Atlanta.

Charleston also has a minor league baseball team., so does Knoxville, TN, Nashville and Jackson, TN. With planning, your scouts may be able to do flag ceremonies at one or more.

During your stay in Charleston at the Yorktown, take the side trip to Ft. Sumter. It's about a 30 minute boat ride to the island, Our trip was the first for the day, I personally got to raise the flag on one of many poles, nice treat.

I hope this helps.

Gonzo1

Welcome to the forums! Gonzo1, I think, has listed some good alternatives. There is one thing I would change though. If your guys have been on the White or Buffalo rivers already, they'll yawn at Helen, GA. Plus it's a little out of the way.

Let's see...between Atlanta and Mount Pleasant...

There's the Congaree Swamp:

http://www.nps.gov/cosw/

In July it will be just delightful, LOL. You better pack insect repellant and sunscreen.

But also while you're in Mount Pleasant, be sure you take a tour through Charleston and soak up some history. Of all the 13 colonies, prior to the Civil War, the largest Jewish population in the country was in Charleston. Charleston was also the intellectual capital of the country, true also for most other cultural resources. Take a look at the slave market and don't be fooled by the candy stores...understand how evil can undo a society. Also, the coastal plain of the Carolinas and GA has to be (outside of the State of Mississippi or, perhaps, Darfur) the most depressing place there is. Pay attention and soak it up. Be thankful you don't live there.

Back west, between Pontotoc and Atlanta you'll probably be on I-20 and then around the big town on the belt. You'll have your choice of Six Flags and Whitewater Atlanta (don't swallow).

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/whitewater/

or you can check out Stone Mountain and see the really, really, big stone carving (unlike that pipsqueak in SD).

AND there is reputed to be the aquarium to end all aquaria in Atlanta. Well worth the stop if you have the time. This would be MY choice:

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

I can't say much for MS or AL, they were put there by God to stop up a global drain or something.

On your trip back to Pigeon Forge, a dalliance in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park would be nice. In fact, forget that wretched tourist trap, Pigeon Forge, and go natural. If you want a good strenuous stroll, take the hike up the Alum Cave Bluff trail, past the bluff up to the top of Mt. LeConte and then back down. That is a good day trip...my wife and I did it a while back.

Another possibility is to beat your way to the top of the Chimneys...ask at the ranger station for directions, they'll know. In July the mountains will be crawling (literally, traffic-wise) with people, the worst of whom will have FL license plates. They'll be dangerously unaccustomed to mountain curves and they'll hold everyone hostage to their glacial progress. You'll need to conjure up your patience on the highways.

Here's another option: Don't go to Pigeon Forge. Go back through Atlanta and then take I-75 toward Chattanooga. Then, just on the other side of Chattanooga stop for some wild caving at Raccoon Mountain:

http://www.wildcave.com/

You'll be glad you did. In July you can do the cave and burn some serious calories. They have a campground there with showers. You'll need the showers to rinse off all the mud. Then take a swim in the Tennessee River, maybe at the park near Nickajack Dam (but be prepared to pick leeches off everyone).

If the boys are grossed out by leeches (and who, besides me, isn't?) then just give them a lecture on something worse, the Candiru fish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candir%C3%BA

Now THAT is gross. Fascinating...but GROSS! They'll forget all about the leeches. You can tell them later that these things don't exist in North America, no need to ruin the suspense. (But you never know, what with global climate change and all...) You may have to speak to a parent or two later.

Then proceed on to Nashville to continue your trip back home. Have a nice day! :)

Not sure exactly how far off your path it may be, but consider the Lost Sea in TN. (www.thelostsea.com)It's halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Along with the commercial tours (including a boat ride in the underground lake), they have an overnight caving trip for groups.. It doesn't require caving experience, but is loads of fun for the kids. Just be sure to pack something to put muddy clothes in, and plan for washing as soon as possible. You probably don't want to carry wet muddy clothes all the way back home in the summer heat.

If you have baseball fans, really try to make it to Turner Field. Turner Field is a baseball "dream" stadium. The Georgia Aquarium is also the largest in the world and an amazing place.

Oh by the way, I don't feel the GA coastal plain is depressing. It is different from other places in the US, but some of us love it..

Quite right and I apologize. My observation mostly applies to the NC/SC coastal plains and then mostly SC. I have spent many pleasant days on Sapelo Island, in and around the Altamaha River, and, of course, the Okefenokee Swamp. I stand corrected.

Ahem, of course there is that matter of speed traps in Ludowici, etc.;)

Packsaddle,

Have you ever been to Gary Indiana? Now that's bad.

Krippe,

There are lots of great places to go to.

Enjoy your trip, for the USS Yorktown itself, take and use in the shower flip flops. Adults may want to consider ear plugs.

Our scouts just did that trip last June. Enjoy.

Gonzo1

Yep, I have to agree but it's not far from some nice places. Heh, heh, I noticed after I sent that message that the things I seem to like about the coastal plain are mostly swamps. I guess it IS a warped view of things compared to most people, oh well.

Hey guys/gals thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking them out right now.....

Was wondering if you could give me more detail about the ship. I get car sick and I'm not that keen on spending a couple nights on something that sways....my SM tells me not to worry it will be alright. Great for him he can ride the marry-go-round.

Packsaddle - thanks for the heads-up on Pigeon Forge. I was pretty sure that it was a tourist trap, but by the time we get to that part of the trip we were going to stay in cabins there (hopfully nice bed/laundry facility). We don't think we will have enough room to haul our tentage and all the cooking gear without taking our trailer. We also thought that this might help some of the boys that get homesick (we have serval 3rd year veterans that attend summer camp with us and every year about half way through they're missing home).

Thanks again for your help.

Krippe,

Once on board, you won't feel any motion. The ship may sway a teeny, tiny bit, not worth writing home about. The ship is way cool. The hangar bay has been converted to an aircraft showroom museum. A snack bar is at one end, a theatre at the other. Folks can take self guided tours around. They give a saftey briefing so everyone knows where to go and not go.

Everyone sleeps in one of the berthing compartments. Beds are called "racks" and is literally a rack with a thin foam pad. All should bring a sleeping bag, sheets and blanket will be OK except for the poor guy on the top rack near the AC vent. He'll be cold. There ar no lockers. Just close your bag and everything should be OK. The only people allowed to sleep onboard are scout type groups.

The head is youth/adult combined. not much privacy for anyone. Use the shower shoes, you don't know who's been there before.

Food was surprisingly OK, not huge portions, but adequate. You'll want a candy bar or something later. Coffee is the Navy way! Hot, strong and black. (cream and sugar available)

You will be able to also tour a Coast Guard cutter, Navy destroyer, WW-II Navy sub. All of it was nice. The boat ride to Ft. Sumter leaves from same the pier.

Hi, the Yorktown has a separate place for scouts to stay. But in July, unless they've installed AC, it is going to be very hot and humid. I mean it could be like a dry heave and if someone does blow chunks, the hot metal is going to make the smell just wonderful. Don't feed them pizza just before boarding, cheeze drooling out their noses when they throw up is just sooooo gross.

Last time I was there with a group was in April, not too bad.

The ship is an aircraft carrier. It is big enough to house a small city. You will not feel motion of any kind.

If it is open to tour, there used to be a WWII submarine next to the Yorktown. It is a great place to test for claustrophobia.

OK, here's another little tidbit from brutal experience...if the guys are allowed free time, they really CAN get lost on this thing and you can spend significant time finding them.

And during the day but especially after dark, impress on them the really, REALLY important rule - NO RUNNING. Here's what could happen:

one of the boys could, say, run full speed into a vertical pipe or column in the dark.

The impact could, say, knock his front teeth out.

You could suddenly be confronted, say, with a screaming child with tons of blood belching out of his mouth.

You could spend, say, the next few minutes getting him stabilized and sending the other boys to FIND THOSE TEETH out there on the deck somewhere in the dark...the boys muttering things like 'gross' and 'awesome!'.

Then you could spend, say, the rest of the night calling the parents and then in the emergency room while doctors vainly try to reinsert those teeth.

And then you can face the remainder of the trip with no sleep whatsoever.

I tell you, it doesn't get much better than that.

Be sure you get a group picture on the gangway BEFORE you board while everyone's smile still has all their teeth. ;)

But you won't have to worry about pitching or rolling. Have a great trip. :)

P.S. forget that folk wisdom about putting the teeth in milk to preserve them...doesn't work.

Edited part: Thanks Gonzo for reminding me of the other two ships. I guess the Yorktown is just so awesome that I forgot about them. There used to be another ship as well, the Savannah, a nuclear-powered commercial vessel...part of Eisenhower's Atoms for Peace program. But it was moved to Baltimore I think, maybe Norfolk. I toured it a long time ago and it was a snoozer anyway.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Pack,

You are in rare form this evening! Your last couple of posts have caused me to laugh so hard I hurt!

A/C has been installed. We went aboard in June, had a great time, my son was under the A/C vent and froze all night, so I had to give up my gear and I used a poncho instead, it worked.

The whole experience was great, and I would go back again.

krippe - Good luck, we're headed down there next month.

Around Charleston there are several historic tours, both via carriage or walking. There are a few old homes you can visit. It might bore the boys to do more than one, though. Go down to Battery Park and let them see how the Civil War started.

Around Asheville, NC there is some good hiking. There's several that have some great panoramic views. Google "Asheville NC Hiking" and see what you get.

Between Asheville and Pigeon Forge there's the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. It takes you out to Fontana Lake. There's some good whitewater in the area too. You can combine those trips.

Lots of good hiking around Pigeon Forge (Smoky Mountains). I like Chimney Tops for an easy hike. Great view at the top. For some history, there's Cade's Cove. You can bike there as well.

If you're going to be near Ashville, NC, try Sliding Rock. It's a moss (I think) covered boulder in the middle of a cool river. You walk out carefully, sit down and slide down the river on your keister into a cool pool below. Fun.

G