Here is a basic cornbread recipe. Unless you use a pre-mixed package, you can't get simpler than this:

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/dutch-oven-recipe-cornbread.htm

Best Ever Cornbread

1 cup butter; melted (or vegetable oil)

2 cups cornmeal

4 eggs; beaten

3 cups all-purpose flour

3 cups milk

4 tsp. baking powder

2 cups sugar

1 tsp. salt

In a large bowl mix together butter, eggs, and milk. In a separate bowl sift together sugar, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients 1 cup at a time just until blended - don't beat this too much.

Spoon cornbread mixture into a lightly greased 12" Dutch oven and spread evenly.

Cover Dutch oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 45 minutes or until cornbread turns golden brown.

NOTE: For even browning make sure you spread the coals on top and bottom evenly, AND make sure to turn the oven and lid 1/4 turn in opposite directions every 10 minutes. Every 10 minutes or so roate the dutch oven 1/4 turn in one direction and at the same time turn the lid 1/4 turn in the opposite direction (note: the lid will alway point the same way). This distributes the heat more evenly on the food.

Serve warm with honey butter.

Serves: 10-12

Lodge dutch ovens provide this table of how to set up the coals for different temperatures:

# of coals (top/bottom):

Oven 325 350 375 400 425 450 degrees

8" 10/5 11/5 11/6 12/6 13/6 14/6

10" 13/6 14/7 16/7 17/8 18/9 19/10

12" 16/7 17/8 18/9 19/10 21/10 22/11

14" 20/10 21/11 22/12 24/12 25/13 26/14

Cornbread is usually baked at 400 degrees.

Well, I'm a southerner and I dearly love cornbread. If you use too much baking powder, it gets a soapy taste. I concur regarding deleting the sugar, that makes more of a corn 'cake'. What I do like is to add creamed corn and chopped jalapeno peppers. Makes a nice moist, spicy bread that demands another bite, and another.

Thanks for the replies. Just to follow up, we followed EagleinKY's advice and used a boxed mix by Krusteaz. 2 boxes per 12" Dutch Oven. About 24 coals on top, 16 on bottom, baked for 28 minutes - PERFECT! Made 4 of them, and all turned out great. A big hit with our families!

Dale