gear for new scouts

In another thread on hiking boots, Eagle74 writes:

"Every year when the newest crossovers come into the troop we tell boys and parents to spend the money for a pair of hiking shoes; some can't seem to get the message until after one miserable experience. "

--------------------------

Well we've got a bunch of young scouts who are, or will soon be, in the market for gear (new and 1st year scouts). With regard to boots in particular the choices seem a bit mind boggling to the uninitiated. Keeping in mind that these are 10-11-12 year olds who grow a shoe size practically overnight, what do you all recommend in terms of hiking footwear?

The advice on the other thread seems like it might be more geared toward older scouts who are seriously committed to scouting (and will hopefully have lots of opportunities to use those new boots) and also who aren't likely to outgrow the boots that mom and dad just invested $100 + to buy, at least not in the next two or three months.

Lisa'bob

You're asking a very good question. So many times, people buying gear for any type outing, let alone Scout camping, do little (if any) research, then buy the least expensive option to fit their need. In most cases, spending a few extra dollars will get the Scout a better piece of equipment (whatever it may be) and it will last longer and perform better over the long term. The hard part is being able to identify what is better for what you need. Thus, I believe, is the reason for your question.

When it comes to young Scouts, ages 11-13, you're exactly right. They change boot sizes virtually overnight. You don't want to spend $150 on GoreTex-lined backpacking boots when the most they're going to wear them is beating around on camporees and at Scout camp.

They won't be doing any rugged backpacking treks with 40# packs. They won't be traversing serious rock trails, etc.

You should be able to find decent over-the-ankle hiking boots between $40 and $75... depending on what you want.

Work it out with your Troop to have a hand-me-down chairperson... sell them to the next group of Webelos crossing over. It's highly unlikely they'll be worn out by then.

Good luck.

Lisa,

An outdoor supplier I've used for many years (since my own time in Scouting in the 60s/70s) is Recreational Equipment Incorporated of Seattle WA.

They are a cooperative. Invest $10 in a lifetime membership, get an annual dividend on your purchases.

I just went to their website: Youth boots run in a price range of $26 - $60 (today is 2/25/06). At the bottom end of the adult scale, boots run from $50 up.

The url is www.rei.com

Now, that said, I didn't get really good boots until I started training for my first 50 mile backpack trip. A pair of Sears mens' boots stood me pretty well for weekend camps, the annual trip to Scout Camp, and some five mile hikes.

You might even check Wally World. Talk to the sporting goods guys about boots ... they often know quite a bit!

My most expensive pair of boots I've gotten were $35. So far, I have mainly bought work boots and they have worked just fine. I am at a point now where I could spend a little more on boots, but these work just fine. (Remember a Scout is thrifty). So far, the most expensive item I have bought was my backpack and it wasn't exactly too exspensive either at $100.

Like was suggested, a membership to REI is a great idea. I like mine. Most of my higher-priced camping gear and climbing gear comes from and will continue to come from REI.

• 8 months later...

When it comes to camping gear, in our unit, we advise the Scouts and their families to take their time, and get only the essentials, at least at first.

Since our unit does little camping/hiking that actually requires hiking boots, we suggest they get the other essentials first. But some discount stores have hiking boots for a reasonable price - they can be had for under $50. Watch for sales - buy large if you have to at the sales. We recommend waterproof hiking boots.

For the other stuff, after the uniform and handbook, health form, etc, we recommend the following:

Sleeping bag rated to at least 40F in a waterproof bag

Sleeping pad - closed cell foam (Make sure to explain what it is and how to use it - we found one Scout had just left his rolled up in the corner of his tent because he did not know how to use it)

Mess kit (or equivalent components)in a carrying bag

Flashlight (small) with extra batteries preferably in a belt pouch

First Aid Kit (we teach them how to make their own)

Rain Gear (we recommend a poncho at first)

Compass

Matches in a waterproof container

Jacket

Sweat shirt

Jackt/cap

Sleeping clothes (shorts or sweatpants & t-shirt or sweatshirt)(We find that if we don't have them bring clothes to sleet in, they will sleep in the clothes they wore all day which is not a good thing)

Hygiene items (soap, toothbrush & paste, towel)

Change of clothes as needed

Small duffle bag to carry it all in.

Small backpack (to carry items in around camp to activities)

Hot/Cold weather clothing and items when needed)

And in today's Scouting we recommend a camp chair or stool.

After that, they can start getting all the other stuff, once they gain more experience and commitment to Scouting. Boots would be on that list.

Our unit has tents so most of our Scouts don't get their own unless they already have one, just want one, or as they get older most want one. As they gain experience and commitment, the rest of the equipment will follow kind of naturally. Some of them go the whole gear load right off, but we don't recommend that.

We have a clothing and gear list that is designed to indicate clothing and gear needed for specific activities (meetings, general activities not involving camping or hiking, camping, hiking, backpacking, summer camp, winter camp (it's all on one page too). And then we have a general clothing and gear list that is on the back of our activity permmission form that covers most activities.

Hope this helps.

There is really no need to spend hundreds on good boots when you can get a pair for half that price. My Timberlands cost $40 & I've had them for 10 years! Comfortable! What you wear between your foot & boot is also very important!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

For most scout activities just about any old boot will do. It's only when they start taking hike of more that five miles or so and backpacking that they *might* need something better than the average boot. Often boots are blamed for improper foot care or bad sock selection. Socks should be wool or synthetic and padded.

That said, some people have sensitive skin and/or oddly shaped feet. A common "problem" is a foot that is wide at the toes and narrow at the heel. Just any old boot will not do for some people even if they are only hiking a few miles with no load.

With regard to REI, if you watch their website and ads closely, you can get access to their 'used gear' sales. Last year, I just happened to stumble into one of their stores, and they were trying to offload a bunch of used hiking boots. I picked up 8 pair of varying sizes, mostly 9's, and got them for 83 cents a pair! Yes, that's eighty three pennies a pair!

Yes, they were used, some were in better shape than others, but I used them to supply our troop gear locker, and the scouts really benefitted from that! ( and one ASM who took one of the size 12's. )

We strongly encourage our scout families to donate their used gear, ESPECIALLY boots, because the scouts grow out of them so fast.

In my experience with REI, they've been very friendly and supportive of Scouting. You may want to speak to a manager and see if you can't get access to this kinda stuff before a sale.

... and double FFYYII - REI offers a standard 10% discount to Scout troops - contact their corporate/group sales department and get registered.

I want to revisit this topic, away from the issue of any one item, and more to the context of training youth and parents about equipment.

When I was a youth member of BSA, Colin Fletcher had just written The Complete Walker. He lays out the issues of camping and backpacking clearly and succinctly, especially in that 1st edition. I still read mine.

Equipment has to answer to several questions:

- Temperature regime of the local area. A Scout in southern California needs equipment for +25F to +100F until he does a winter camp in the Sierra Nevada, where his temp range might drop to 0F. Contrast that to a Scout in Hawaii, who may not see the wrong side of +45F. Contrast THAT to a Scout here in Flyover Country, where the range is -20F to +100F.

- Precipitation regime of the local area. That Scout in southern California will encounter far more rain than snow. The Scout in Hawaii will see rain almost exclusively. The Scout here in KC needs good rain gear and good snow gear.

- Transportation. LIGHT WEIGHT GEAR COSTS MONEY. Units and people camping in frontcountry do not need as light of gear as folks going to backcountry, where every ounce counts.

Beyond that, there are any number of excellent lists for what should go in the backpack/duffelbag/patrol box. I still use the 1965 boy scout handbook for my packing list. Others will choose differently :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)