I havent found much in these forums about geocaching. It's a hobby I just started and I think it would be a great addition to any scout units program. Durring the last couple outings I have been placing caches in the woods and giving each patrol a GPS reciever as a race to see what patrol can find all the caches the fastest. Several caches within 1/4 mile of the campsite keeps them busy for a couple hours (better than capure the flag with less arguing). If your a scout leader that is into the hobby, geocaching is also a way to find some great camping spots on public land. If you want to find out more visit http://www.geocaching.com/

Koda, I agree! Geocaching is the perfect alignment of outdoor skills and high-tech skills and has lots of fun learning opportunities to offer boys of both stripes.

This year, instead of our traditional orienteering campout, we added a geocaching event for the older guys (who had already passed basic map and compass skills). We set up our own course in advance. It was lots of fun and I think our PLC will want to do it again next year, this type with more bells and whistles.

As an aside, I like UTM coordinate systems much better than lat/long but that is a matter of taste.

My son and I do a little geocaching from time to time and it is a blast. We don't get to go as often as we like. A word to the wise if you are hiding a cache. Try to do it in the summer when there is full plant growth. I hid three in the early spring in some great hiding spots. The problem is that now they are almost inaccessable due to dense vegetation and poison ivy. I had to disable them on the internet until I can get to them and move them. My son was pumped to learn that there will be a geocaching event at the Jamboree.