backpacks for Philmont

Fellow Scouters,

Some young men in the troop I serve will be heading for Philmont this summer. They are all rookies in the area of High Adventure backpacking, and will need some help in getting the best backpacks for the job. Are there any good on-line resources you can recommend to help these guys get started in finding the right gear? Thanks!

WAKWIB(This message has been edited by WAKWIB)

My recommendation is to get them to a good local camping store to try on packs and find ones that fit them the best and have the features they are looking for. Then take the manufacturer, size, and model number, and do some comparitive shopping.

BW

If you want an internal frame it should be at least 4800 cubic inches. If you want external frame: 4000 cubic inches. Be ready to carry at least 2 qts of water daily. An external keeps the pack inches from your body and allows air circulation. Visit backpacker.com gear review, campor web site for prices, and ask your local OA lodge and/or last council philmont crews.

I give you an A for ambition. Its mid October and youre taking a group of rookies to Philmont in just 9 (or so) months. You have a lot of work ahead of you.

I suspect that you are at a loss, since there seems to be no backpacking experience in the Troop. So youll have to go by the recommendations of other people. Here is my suggestions. Follow the 4000/4800 cu in suggestions. Take the troop, and their parents, to a sporting goods store that has knowledgeable backpackers on staff. Get the boys fitted and educate the parents in the process. Price is not, should not be the deciding factor when purchasing a backpack.

Since your boys are probably still growing, buy packs that are expandable with respect to fit. That leaves you with only the external frame packs option. Get this over with in a hurry! Dont let the parents wait for the holidays!

Dont play games with your local shop owner by having your boys go into the store one at a time, then go home and shop the internet for price. Take all the boys at the same time and negotiate with the shop owner. You are going to need this guy in the next few months don't piss him off.

The backpack is only one piece of the outfit. You still have a long way to go..and its already October.

Thanks OGE for moving this thread to it's proper home! Also, thanks for the advice posted so far. Yes, I know we are down to the wire in many respects. We were on the waiting list and just got confirmation a couple weeks ago. So.....wish us luck!!

WAKWIB

Another source of information on backpacks would be another troop that has had recent Philmont experience. They should be able to give you pointers and recommendations on what and what not to bring.

Our troop has helped other troops get ready in the past, not so much recently, and has even offered older or outgrown packs for use by other Troops.

yis