How to get the moms to family camp

1. Flushies!!!

Try to camp where there are good, clean flushable toilets and at least some running water to wash your hands.

If you MUST have porta potties, have more than one designated as "female".

2. Get the women who do camp to tell all the great stories.

3. Air mattresses.

4. Let them know they don't have to do all the work, that you men are going to cook and clean, etc. Make it a vacation for the women.

5. You are probably safer camping than going to the mall.

6. A tent big enough to change your clothes in.

7. Find out what luxury they like and provide it if possible.

8. Find out what they hate at home (phone ringing, TV, etc.) and make sure it is NOT at camp. (okay, you do have to take the kids when you are Scout camping)

If possible, start them out by having them come for the day. Then talk them into JUST one night. Do it for you children. They will love having mom along.

I grew up camping. Shoot, I was camping before I was born and shortly thereafter (before good disposable diapers). About the only vacations we took were camping. My dad did all the cooking and did a lot of the dish washing. My mother went to a Cub Scout campout last year and loved it (she was so thankful she doesn't have small children anymore).

My first Cub Scout camping trip, I was NOT excited about going. I had not camped in years and there were no showers. Then I realized this was for about 24 hours. There are a lot of things you can endure for 24 hours especially when it comes to your kids. I was hooked! Can't camp often enough now.

I've also heard that another good reason to bring moms along is that they will wake up if they hear children during the night. The men just sleep right through it. :)

Excellent list. My wife had never gone camping until we went to a car camping event with our troop in Southern California several years ago. She really enjoyed herself. We even did a little backpacking earlier this spring. All the points in your list encompass things I have done to make her time outdoors more enjoyable.

One might also add that the men really need to be sincere in welcoming female participation.

Good list!

Have the women who are telling the great stories also show pictures. Ever notice how when women camp the camping area looks nicer than when it's just guys?

Now if someone would just figure out how to keep the palmetto bugs (read giant roaches) out of the t.p. roll.