Spring Cub Roundup?

• 4 weeks later...

A spring round-up is a great idea, because the boys who register can attend day camp or resident camp for their program level. What a great way to get them hooked on Scouting! Plus you can start getting adult leaders recruited over the summer and the program planned, so that you are ready to go with your program in September. Don't have to waste the whole month trying to get an annual plan together and getting dens and leaders set-up.

Kindergarteners could be recruited and head to summer day camp as Tiger Cubs. Kids ending first grade could be recruited and attend camp as Wolves, etc. Talk to your district and/or council membership chairman about spring round-up. It's been done before and there's no reason why it couldn't work for you. Good luck!!

Here's another idea. If your pack does any summertime activities (other than camp), you could use those activities as a recruiting opportunity. For instance, if your pack works on earning the National Summertime Award, you must hold 3 pack level activities during the summer. Many packs count summer camp as one of these activities. I have been with units that had a pool party and a family cook-out. Other ideas include a day hike, conservation project, trip to a farm, and many others. With proper publicity and planning, these activities could also be used to invite new families and let them know a little about what Cub Scouting is all about.

My council does a mailing to boys not in Cub Scouting, inviting them to Day Camp. Once there,the staff tells them about Cub Scouting, they sign them up and foreword the info to the Cubmaster to get the new boys involved with the local unit.

We hold our day camp program by sub districts, so the applications are processed into the nearby pack by the address on the application.

This program has been run for several years, and my pack gain 5-10 new boys each year from the program.