• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sorry I caused such a fuss!?!"

There is nothing to apologize for. Your questions are valid.

"The reason I felt it was important to try to locate the NYLT patch, for one of the scouts in our troop, was because I feel the patches are important. Not for the recognition as much as for the memories. Not many scouts, in our troop, are photographers or even remember to take a few shots and these patches are the reminders, for them, of their scouting careers."

And this is something that too often is overlooked or forgotten. This is why some of us prefer to be scout memorabilists and not just 'patch collectors'. WHAT the patch represents is just as important as the patch itself. And, hence, many want to be able to properly display what they have done.

The problem, as I see it, is when some feel they need to wear too many or wear them in the wrong location (for whatever justification).

I can not thank all of you enough for justifying my question. At least I know "I am NOT off my rocker" and that my motivation for an answer was in the right place. If I am not able to get the "standard" NYLT patch, the scout will be fine. He mentioned to his mother that he isn't really sure where he would put it anyway! He seems to be most proud of his World Conservation patch and wants to keep it exactly where it is ~ displayed proudly on his right pocket!!!!

We've had 1-2 people get their fourth bead as NYLT Course Director. These people had experience as WB staffers.

I don't recall the ceremony, but I've not heard any complaints within our council. I've heard no grumblings at our yearly WB Breakfast.

I didn't question the guy as he's a good friend, and I do know how much work is involved in NYLT having staffed JLT previously. Also he did serve on WB staff a year later.

That said, I personally do not like it as this is suppose to be a YOUTH organization, and there is no national recognition for the YOUTH staff who have gone through the program and are giving back. I feel if you recognize one group of staff, it should be the youth and not the adults.

Further is the two programs are so alike, why not add a ticket for the NYLT participants and give them beads too?

"That said, I personally do not like it as this is suppose to be a YOUTH organization, and there is no national recognition for the YOUTH staff who have gone through the program and are giving back. I feel if you recognize one group of staff, it should be the youth and not the adults."

There IS a national recognition for the youth staff: the NYLT belt buckle, which is supposed to be presented to the staff. NLS does the same thing.

I think what you meant was a national recognition that is on par with the WB beads, which is a slightly different question.

"Further is the two programs are so alike, why not add a ticket for the NYLT participants and give them beads too? "

And what happens when those NYLT participants (or youth staff for that matter) get older and then go thru WB? Will they feel WB is a waste of their time/money because its so much like NYLT?

I staffed the NYLT course back in 1987 and 1988, and took Woodbadge in the last few years. The course content was shockingly familiar to me, and almost identical for the 4 younger Scouters who participated in the current vintage of NYLT.

I personally know someone who has received their fourth bead for being CD of NYLT, I am not sure how I feel about this. With the course being so similar I suppose it makes sense. Include the fact that we run NYLT far more often then we run Woodbadge. (Our council runs four Troops of NYLT per year and "half" a Troop of Woodbadge as we split the course with Northern NJ Council). They worked hard to deliver what is essentially the Woodbadge course to Scouts instead of Scouters. But that's the thing, BP intended Woodbadge to be a class to give the boys good leaders. Leaders who in turn would make them good leaders... I truly understand that wether CD for Woodbadge or NYLT your doing an almost identical job, and both are very demanding, but if the Scotus are not receiving beads for participating and staffing NYLT why do Adults get their 4th bead?

Patch Placement. This is a particularly silly subject in my opinion, the insignia guide is clear on NYLT Patch placement. We send our scouts to be good leaders. They should lead by example and model a correct uniform.

Sometimes I like to wack the hornets nest with a big old stick :)

The Adult Uniform Inspection form says:

"Temporary insignia, including one current world Scout jamboree

patch, centered on pocket. Only one temporary insignia

may be worn at a time, and they are not required for correct

uniforming. Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing

the official uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary

insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip."

So a Female Venture leader who has completed NYLT as a youth, could actually wear the NYLT patch in the "Jamboree" position. For that matter, any Cub Leader, Male or Female, could also display the NYLT patch in that position...

Now to really throw gas on the fire.

"Only one temporary insignia may be worn at a time"

That means you can wear your Jambo patch, but no other temporary insignia.

IMHO I think it is silly to disallow Jamboree participants from displaying a second temporary patch on their pocket. I also think it is silly we still have females and Cub Leaders putting non-jambo temporary patches above the pocket. BUt those be the rules, and like some speed limits, I obey the rules even if they seem antiquated.

Adam S

I don't have the book in front of me, but what I believe the spirit of IG is that the one temporary patch goes in the temporary patch position. For most that means on the right pocket. For the ladies and Cubs matter, that position would be either on the pocket or above the pocket ... not both, unless one of them happens to be a Jambo patch.

The way I worded this is probably also open to interpretation or disagreement, but the "one temporary patch" isn't taling about the Jambo patch in the BS uniform position (in my opinion). My opinion is also that it's an "either/or" regarding the ladies and Cub patch placement.

There's also a distiction regarding CD and SM for NYLT. The beads go to the SM; not the CD if that happens to be two different people.

BDPT00

Don't give up so easily. It's really quite simple. The book tells you where everything goes. Just check it out, and do it ... don't guess. Guessing or just doing what somebody else does is where people take a wrong turn. Generally speaking, less is more ... after a while, one learns that people aren't impress by all the clutter on a shirt. Wear what you like, but put it where it belongs. Simple.

BDPT00

Emb,

In response to this, And what happens when those NYLT participants (or youth staff for that matter) get older and then go thru WB? Will they feel WB is a waste of their time/money because its so much like NYLT? , I can give you one anecdote.

Back when I staffed JLT, one of my staffers turned 18 after the JLT course and took WB 2 months after JLT. When I caught up with him after completing the ticket he told me, "Don't waste your time and money right now taking WB. All it is is JLT with a ticket, and I didn't learn anything new. Wait a while until you need a refresher, then take WB."

Another one, when trying to organize an IOLS course one of the staffers asked what I was, referencing what WB patrol I was in, he was surprised that I hadn't taken the course as I was organizing it on par with WB.

All the non-knot, non-rank, etc., patches are easy. Here's how you handle them. Pick one patch, and only one patch. Sew it on your right uniform pocket (if you're a youth, put your rank on the left front uniform pocket, otherwise leave that pocket empty). That's it. If you're a youth, you can put more on the back of your uniform sash. Otherwise, wear a patch vest or put them up on a blanket at home.

You know, it's strange, I never really see anyone wearing a patch vest.