Tattered Cubbie Badges

My son was a Tiger last year, and so earned that and Bobcat. He's about to earn Wolf, but he's growin' out of his shirt.

I need to get him a new one, but there's two issues. 1) I used Badge Magic, and that wouldn't matter so much, since he's outgrown the shirt, except...

2) the Tiger and Bobcat badges are little worse for wear after two full years. And washings. And tree climbings. And stick fights. Etc... I'd like to not try to put battered badges on brand new blues.

And I do NOT have those itty bitty cards he got with the Badges (oh, please--I need my glasses bolted to my head). What would I have to do to get duplicate Tiger/Bobcat badges for his new, larger shirt?

For that matter, what if a Cubster needs TWO Class-A shirts? I have a couple of Scouts who are in double-home families. A week with Dad, a week with Mom, etc... If they wanted to have a full shirt both places, how do you get TWO rank badges?

Some Scout shops are picky about selling badges without an advancement report. Ours will sometimes ask about it as a reminder but will sell badges if any suitable reason is advanced.

I would think that if you take the old uniform in and explain you want new badges for a new uniform they will be glad to sell them to you. You could call and ask as a double check if you wish.

Also, our Scout shop will arrange to sew on badges and such for an extra fee. You could ask about such a service if you wish.

You shouldn't have a problem. Don't worry about the cards but, if you're concerned about being stopped, bring your son's book to the Scout shop in case they ask to see some sort of documentation. That should the most anyone needs to sell you the badges.

You can also bring in his current shirt and fill out the papwerwork there, markign "REPLACEMENTS" on the form.

A few ideas for the future that may help.

1) Don't use the badge bond, badge majic or whatever they are callign it today. It does make the shirts unservicable once you remove the badges.

2) Buy the uniforms big. I mean big enough that they have lots of room to grow in, but not look like a clown. If your Cub is a Wolf now, he can wear his new blues for three years, until me becomes a Boy Scout. Bring him to the store with ya to try on stuff b/c I know I went up 2 sizes on the pants for my son when he was a Tiger. I am hoping he can last 1 more year in the pants, and then get him in the tan and green optional uniform for Webelos.

2a) Make sure you hem the pants with lots of excess material so that you can cut the hem and redo them as he grows. I need to do that now.

3) make him have some "sweat equity" in the uniform by buying parts of it himself. He will take better care of it if it isn't just handed to him.

Good luck.

I once purchased a Scout shirt on eBay and the previous owner had glued on the patches. I removed the patches and brought the shirt to my dry cleaner. Whatever solvent they used removed the glue residue and the shirt looked great. I used needle and thread to apply my patches.

So if you are planning on donating the old shirt for another Scouts to use, then remove your son's badges/patches and have the shirt cleaned at a dry cleaner.

Chazz Lees

I've always been able to remove Badge Magic completely by using a solvent and some elbow grease along with a wire brush.

The dry cleaning option sounds attractive if you are doing a "clean sweep," but I'm making a note not to do dry clean my uniform otherwise!

Yeah, we were hoping to try to start a Cub Closet, so I'd like to donate his smaller shirt, but the BADMAGIC has make a mess on his pocket (I had to move his Bobcat when he got his Tiger--I hadn't placed it quite right).

I suppose if I'm cleaning the shirt off for another Cub anyway, I could just take the tattered ones to trade in, perhaps.

Thanks for all the ideas! On my DL and my (1st) CM shirts, I used BM (before I learned!), and the patches are all lifting. UGH!

Now I know better; my newer CM shirt I sewed them on.

Yep, dry cleaning should remove all of the Badge Magic "gunk", and make the shirt serviceable again. Make sure to remove all patches first or your dry cleaner might loose some.

There should be no reason to have to use an advancement form for duplicates patches. Parents should have no problem going to their Scout Store themselves, and requesting the duplicates. The Scout Store staff can easily look up the Scouts records if needed.

For new badges, check at your local hobby, or fabric, center for fray-stop products. Put around the edges of patches, it will help to keep them in shape.

Your advancement chair may have some extra on hand or might be able to order them for you.

My #2 son's Bobcat, Tiger and Wolf are also looking a bit ratty. When he gets his Webelos badge, we've decided to get him a tan shirt.

In another thread, someone said that Scout uniforms have a lifetime guarantee. Apparently if the uniform fails, a Scout Shop will replace it at no charge.

If they will replace a defective uniform, they should replace a frayed badge don't you think?

Not sure they would rpelace somethingthat suffered from normal usage and not a defect in it's creation...

That said around here boys grow out of uniforms all the time, Our scout shop (with the Exception of Eagle) operates on the Premise that a scout is Trustworthy and will sell the badges.

not sure if the "won't" was in regard to my post. But no, my scout shop absolutely does sell any rank except eagle without verification. They might ask for your advancement report , but if you tell them it is a replacement they have no problem. Most who work in the scout shops and understand how boys grow and how they are hard on their uniforms A replacement patch is especially obvious if you are buying a new shirt and everythign else all at once.

A Scout is Trustworthy, remind your Scout shop of that if they give you a hard time (and have the number of your Unit Commisioner handy if they refuse to sell to you)