Not another Knot thread!

Question for the forum...

Do you trim the excess fabric backing off of your award knots before you sew them on your uniform?

Another Scouter made the observation last night that my knots where neatly placed in a row on my shirt and that all the excess material was trimmed. I never noticed it before, but I guess a lot of folks just sew them on without "squaring" them up.

I appreciate your responses.

*I have not, or ever will be a member of the UP...but I do try to wear my uniform correctly!

"Do you trim the excess fabric backing off of your award knots before you sew them on your uniform?"

YES.

In the past I didn't have to do this, but I've found that knots made over the last 5-10 years aren't trimmed too well. So I find I have to pull out my scissors and do some trimming before I sew them down.

I trim the excess since many are cut out of square now. One thing I've also done in the past is to sew the knots with one continuous thread and zig zag stich between the 2 edges. I only have 3, so no clue if this would work for more, but by stitching them together, they lay flat in a group, rather than gapping between each.

One thing I have noticed is that the centenial uniform pockets seem to be just a tiny bit narrower (like 1/16"), so 3 knots just barely hang over on each side, so I place the center knot first, then the outer ones so the overhang is even.

And I guess you could call me undercover uniform police, my goal is to set the example rather than confront the perpatrators of uniform crimes :)