The Technology Pocket

" I despise the technology pocket for many reasons (it seemingly undermines many units no electronics rule, sewing patches on it is less then fun, it does not fit my phone properly...) but it works."

Just curious...does anybody actually use this pocket?

I have not seen one in use yet by anybody...even during the limited troop contact I occasionally have.

And I agree, it makes sewing on a patch a pain in the butt!

Don't remove the cargo pockets on the pants!!!!!!!e perfect for storing all kinds of goodies in. I used them this entire weekend, and only wish they were bigger.

But the smokes pocket is useless.

When I set out to sew my DL patch on the shoulder, I was determined to put in the effort to maintain usability of the pocket. Well, after flipping the pocket in and out a few times, I realized it can not be done.

The CM patch just got sewn through everything.

And my Blackberry rides under my OA flap.

It took about 10 minutes to hand sew my son's POR patch on the sleeve pocket of his uniform without sewing through the pocket and losing use. It's the same issue as sewing rank badges on the front pocket, if you want to use the pocket you have to hand sew, if you want speed (though not necessarily ease) then machine sew through all the layers or remove the pocket, sew on the patch, then put the pocket back. Or remove the pocket and sew the patch on the sleeve.

Honestly, I think the real issue is that sewing is a lost art. We are spoiled by cheap disposable clothing and lack of skills. My grandfather knew how to mend clothes and knit his own socks. My father and my husband can't sew on as much as a button. My sons will know how to do basic hand sewing and how to use a sewing machine before they leave the nest; they are well on their way. I sewed on my son's POR patch because we were short on time, not because he didn't know how. And he does use the pocket, he stores his set of dice for playing Blisters in it. :-)

While not knowing the proper name of it..I had a friend who works maintainace at a local hospital to "procure" a couple of those curved surgical sewing needles for me.

You have to use a pair of needle-nose pliars with the needle, but pockets are still fully functional..to the extent I still never use them! :)

Scoutfish, you can buy curved needles at a fabric store too, but they aren't really necessary. A 'sharps' needle works great but I usually pick whatever needle is handy in my pincushion. As long as the needle isn't too long and is sharp, not blunt, it will work.

Issues in sewing on patches comes up here and in our troop/pack so often, I am seriously considering putting together a YouTube video on the topic.

Yes sewing is a lost art. I had folks surprised that I fixed my 11yo tent by sewing a leather "pocket" for the ridge pole. They thought I should have bought a new tent, when a small piece of scrap leather from making mocs, a needle, and some HD nylon thread solved the problem.

The pocket is a "technology pocket"? Hunh, ok. I mean, I don't have a shirt sleeve pocket in my normal clothes -- I'm already used to carrying my phone in my pants pocket. It kind of seems like it would get jarred more in my arm -- I know when I walk my arms swing much more than my legs do, or at least I'm not conscious of things in my pants pockets rattling as I walk. I think anything in a shirt sleeve pocket would likely not fit exactly and I'd either have to pack some cotton in there to fill the extra space or just put it in my pants pocket like I normally do.

In any case, this discussion is sort of academic for me. I only have long sleeve shirts -- when it gets really hot I just unbutton the cuff and roll the sleeve up two or three times to my elbow.

Actually, Eagle92, sewing as hobby is experiencing a new popularity, as evidenced by the number of new sewing books and blogs being published. The internet has been a prime factor in its resurgence, replacing Mom as a source of sewing wisdom. And in the past couple of years, men who love to sew are also showing up with blogs and on message boards. All this to say I have hope for the future and for DIY skills in general.

:) Something I posted started a spin off, I am flattered LOL

Sasha, I can and do sew all my own uniforms, and have since I was a scout many years ago. BUT I have big hands so fitting my mitts in the little pocket results in a few drops off blood. It is doable but a hassle ;) I have seriously considered using badge magic but cannot bring myself to do it.

My only problem with sewing is that I do not have a sewing machine and everything is done by hand. Would love to have a machine and know how to use it. Save time, energy, and money on hemming pants, sewing on patches, and of course making dance regalia for the OA dance team ;)

Luckily if I get in a bind, and the sis-in-law is not on a major costuming project, she will help. Unfortuntaley she's a perfectionist and will redo a complete costume if it isn't perfect. Everyone at one sci-fi conventioned loved her Blink Angel from Doctor Who, but she tore it apart and redid it anyway.