Tips for Purchasing Jac Shirts on Ebay

I would like to purchase a red jac shirt, and everything I read is that the ones that you get off Ebay are better than the ones you can purchase.

The problem is that I am confused by the many different interpretations of what size the jackets are. Does anybody have any tips to buying the jacket on Ebay, like what "size" they bought and what size they wear in "real life." I wear a 50R suit jacket, so am I looking for a 50 red wool jacket or something a bit larger to accommodate layers? Thanks for your tips.

The best tip I can give you is watch Ebay for a while to get familiar with the prices, and then wait to buy until June. When I bought mine in the summer, I think I got it for $38, it is in great shape. Prices were much higher during the cold weather. Nobody wants to think about wool when it's 95 degrees outside, so you should see fewer bidders and lower prices.

Mine is a size 44, and I wear a 44 coat. It is a little big, which is fine with me. This jacket is an older version, 100% Wool. There is another small tag in the neckline, with the number 553 on it.

I believe newer versions are 85% wool. I think sizes still run pretty true.

You will see a lot of size 42's. Larger sizes don't show up as often, but they are out there, just be patient.

Brent is spot on...wait till summer...a few years ago, I picked up two jac shirts during the summertime for a fraction of what they would have been in cooler weather.

I wear a 46 or 48 size coat, depending on the cut.

First jac shirt is marked 46 long, and fits comfortably over my scout uniform.

Second was like Brent's, marked 553, and is a 50 long. Very roomy, and the coat looks darn near brand new.

In addition to scouting events, I'll wear one now and again to the store, or to walk the dogs.

Both very warm, well sewn, tough as nails.

There is a lot of confusion regarding Jac Shirts out there that is for sure. Older ones are harder to find in larger sizes because size shift in the population. In 1966 it was uncommon to have a large group of men that wore a 48 or 50 coat but today it is quite common. It is also a misconception about materials. It is true that early ones were 100% wool but amazingly enough, the current blend started in the mid 60's and for a while, BSA sold both, a blend and straight wool. You can actually tell what it is, if it has a label because the wool industry has different label marks for wool versus wool blend . Also note that older ones have a convex buttons with an almost "iridescent" look to them while newer ones have solid color rimmed buttons. I do not know when the buttons changed but I have noticed that the ones with the older style buttons tend to be the nicer ones even if they are the blend. Finally, in closing (and I am hoping this is not innapropriate and if it is please let me know) our DE has a size 42R that was donated to raise money for FOS.