Uniform Washable Wool Jacket

I know when I worked for a National Scout Shop, we did anything and everything we could to help the customer. If we said we couldn't get something, it meant no one anywhere in the country had it, because we had already called each store to try and get one. Territory and Store managers have a network of "go-to" stores, but we would look everywhere we could to find an item. I guess now it's done via e-mail, now that more staff has internal mail.

In terms of ordering from the warehouse, we always tried to steer people away from it. Not to "get the sale" as it were, but because we usually had the item in stock, and shipped it cheaper than they could. Since I left, they've changed the shipping rates to standardize them across all stores, which means they are the same as the warehouse, but its still faster to ship within the state, or one state over.

One big change that I've chatted with my ex-coworkers about is how stores are stocked. When I left, there was a change to "pushed" orders for new items, where the warehouse shipped certain levels of stock to each store. There were A,B,C and D stores if I remember right, and an "A" got about 4 times what a "D" store did. It was based entirely on total sales, not on any other criteria. So, when a new book series on hiking trails came out, we were sent 6 of each book. The only issue? We were in Ohio, and the closest area covered by the books was TN. So, they sat until another store needed them, or they were discontinuted. In the "old way" a manager would get a newsletter saying "here are next month's new items, place orders ASAP". So now when a Scout Shop that sells the Jac-Shirts like crazy gets their new green jackets, they get what they are "supposed" to get, not what the manager knows they can sell. It probably makes the warehouse's job easier, but it means that the items are shipped all over the country, rather to where they'll sell. If that system is still in place, the southern region stores probably have the same number of jackets they have in the northwest region. Guess who will sell out first?

All that said, a letter to a higher up used to work well, I'd assume its the same way now. When our Territory Manager's boss got a letter about an issue, we knew about it for sure, either a memo, a retraining, or more. I've heard a lot of frustration with the web ordering, and I've never personally done it, but I'd say a letter, especially one written directly to a person rather than "head of web ordering, or the like" would at least get a response, if not a good look at what went wrong.

'Box,

See if you can cancel your order and PM TRAINERLADY as she works for a national shop that does have them in. If what she says is true, all shippign prices are the same irregardless of location, it won't cost any more than what you are payign now, and you may get it faster.

'Box,

I'd write a letter of complaint to this guy:

Michael A. Ashline

Director, Supply Group

Boy Scouts of America

P.O.Box 7143

Charlotte, NC 28241

You will hear back, if not from him, then from somebody who lost a few pounds from Ashline chewing him out.

I tried one on and have one on order to replace the one Santa will be bringing me for me store. I also ordered the sizes that weren't "pushed" to me. In theory I'll have all the sizes available in stock by Friday.

Box,

If your Council store can't get it in for you in a timely fashion, I can arrange for Santa to hook you up too.

"What I would like to see adopted as a uniform item is the TrekTek TruNorth Waterproof Breathable Jacket that scoutstuff now offers." The problem is that it wouldn't be waterproof anymore after people start sewing patches on it -- especially a big patch on the upper back. You need something thick, that can sort of felt together and almost "close" those needle holes -- something like wool. Otherwise, you put your poncho on and suddenly have occasional squirts of cold water running down your back.

My council does a Fleece Jacket in several colors with the Council CSP on the front left chest. I have ordered myself one in Forest Green to wear. I have several Scouter friends who also wear their WB Course Fleece jackets. I ordered myself and my son the Fleece jackets, and I also ordered myself the New OD Jac Shirt from my Council shop. I like the Green color/OD color because the Red Jac shirt although nice looking jacket is just a bit too red for my liking. I like to wear more greener colors in the woods etc..