Trained Strip color for Commissioners

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to report that the National Commissioner has taken a stand on the Color of the Trained Strip.

According to the latest newsletter "The Commissioner" which is found here: http://scouting.org/filestore/pdf/522-975_Fall20109.pdf

On page 11, there is a FAQ about the color of the trained strip for wear by Commissioners:

2. Is it true that commissioners should only wear the red

Trained strip upon completing Basic Training? Thats what

is listed in the documentation.

Answer: If you have the new Centennial uniform, then you

should use the new green Trained strip. If you wear any of

the previous styles of uniforms, then you should use the red

Trained strip. While the commissioner documentation has not

been updated to reflect it, both Trained strips are equivalent.

Note that the red strip may not be available in the near future.

So, we can rest assured that all commissioners should be wearing the green strip on the "centennial uniform." Can we make the jump that ALL non-unit scouters do the same? I for one feel comfortable making that jump as a leap of faith.

Thanks very much

Craig Bailey

CT,

Thanks a bunch! BTW Uniform inspections went well this past weeekend.

Now my question is: if the red strip may not be available in the near future, what colot trained strips will Venturers and their leaders be wearing?

JR,

That is an understatement if I ever heard one ;)

Looks like I am going to try and find some trained strips someone made locally that match the old VLSC strips. That or use the old Trained strips I am trying to save.

One other question, are cub scouts and leaders in the CUs now going back to the Aug 08 - April 09 uniform regs of green and tan number and trained strips?

'92:

I totally agree this has been a massive headache for thousands of folks.

I have faith that the National Council uniform committee will stand up and speak for the volunteers. But we need to remember there may be financial pressures behind some of these decisions.

The Centennial transition has been a big effort by a lot of folks. This issues will shake out, I'm sure, certainly now that the big party is starting to wind down. Maybe now we can all get back to the job of Scouting, and wait another 100 years for the next big four year party. :)

ctb

"Now my question is: if the red strip may not be available in the near future, what colot trained strips will Venturers and their leaders be wearing?"

Why should the red strip not be available in the future if BOTH Cub Scout leaders AND Venturing leaders (and Venturers) are supposed to wear it and not the green/tan?? I think whoever wrote that wasn't thinking...

I wear what official uniform I have. In IOLS they gave me a green trained strip and I still wear the previous style shirt. I updated my unit numerals to green and shoulder loops to green on my old shirt to make it look more uniform in appearance. My Cub Scout leader shirt still has the red unit numerals and red Trained strip.

In my District, we a mix of reds and greens among the Scouts and Leaders, but nobody cares because they are all official uniforms. There are more important things to be concerned with. As time passes, however, the new centennial shirts and patches are beginning to dominate.

As far as inspections are concerned, any uniform part that was considered official is always official. Proper placement of patches and neatness in appearance is what matters, not whether you have the green patches or the red patches. Some of the older Scouts in our Troop still wear the older shirts with the red loops and red unit number patches. We allow it because it's official uniform and no one is asking anyone to go and buy new uniforms just because National decided to change it.

Financial pressures over a patch? Give me a break. Trained patches and shoulder loops are not how National makes most of its money.

They wanted to change colors. That's fine. The screwups and miscommunication have taken place because of someone's utter incompetence, not because Irving wants to rake in a couple more million.

More on some patches. As for financial burden, for some families it can be. While I was able to quickly buy the correct numbers and trained patch after purchasing the green and tan ones ones everyone told me to get for my CU: the May 2008 pdf, local distributor, and national supply employee, I do know some families are being hit hard by the economy and have not been able to buy the correct numbers still. Heck if the the situation happened now, I might have said the heck with it too.

And the economy is going to get worse. Read somewhere that a family of 4 making under $50K may be hit with an extra $250 in taxes every two weeks. Not many families I know in that brakcet can afford that type of hit to their wallets.

I bet the red strips go away just like the red shoulder loops have. You may still be able to find the red loops at a small "Mom & Pop" scout shop, but you can't order them from Scoutstuff and my local council scout store can't get them either.

How about another new Boy scout uniform for a money maker?

The current uniform is called the Centennial uniform for a reason.....

Is that not about the money????

I have hear rumblings from a fellow who seems wired into national somehow. New uniform is coming very soon.

My complaint, our council requires training staff to have the Current uniform I am not spending another $150 on a uniform. Socks, shirt, belt, Pants and Patches. Looks Like my training career is over.

"The current uniform is called the Centennial uniform for a reason.....

Is that not about the money????"

No, it's not. Centennial simply refers to the 100th anniversary.

There has been moaning and groaning for years that the ODL uniform wasn't suited for hard outdoor wear. National finally listened. (Whether they listened closely enough and made the right choices ... that's a matter of opinion.)

But to say that the uniform change was prompted because National wanted more money from everyone who'd have to switch - especially considering that the "old" uniforms are perfectly fine to wear - is naive at best.