Being UNIFORM while in uniform

National has gotten the word, seems ALL neckers will be old/big again, understandable when you think how inexpensively they can be produced and then they sell for 6 to 8 bucks.

For the last month I have been wearing a red one with black chevrons and the adult size cub leader one and just picked up a dark olive green embroidered with lighter olive thread for a nice stealth look.

Only drawback is the cloth does not want to roll up, almost impossible when new and not easy after washing once, but easy if done when still damp. This may have to do with them being poly/cotton.

Prairie, if I understand scout history correctly, the old/large neckerchiefs were not rolled. Then placed around the neck, slide goes up, and a slip knot tied near the two ends to keep them together.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

While being uniform while in uniform is an OK idea.

I do think that we can maybe take it a little too far.

In Scouting uniform is a method; a tool that is used to help reach the over all goal.

In the area where I live about half the adults do wear full uniform. Some of these Scouters do go a little overboard with a zillion patches on the red wool jacket! About a quarter of the Boy Scouts wear full uniform, nearly all wear the shirt but the pants are replaced with blue jeans.

I really can't remember the last time I ever seen a Cub Scout in full Cub Scout uniform. No one bothers with the socks or the pants.

When I was CM, we waited till pants went on sale at one of the local K-Mart type stores and most of the parents bought these.

At this point in time there seems to be so many different uniforms that even if everyone were to show up in full official uniform they wouldn't be uniform in uniform.

As to slides? I have always seen these as something that allows people to show their own individualism. We have in the Council a couple of outstanding wood carvers. (One, I'll bet is at the Boy's Life exhibit at the Jambo with his display.) These guys have wonderful imaginations and I have over the years managed to nab a few pieces of their work.

I wonder whats next? If we take this too far, will we need uniform coffee mugs?

Ea.