Religious Medal

So this post got me thinking about my sons religious medal he earned. I was under the impression that once he was awarded the knot that he could not wear the medal. Can he wear the medal also? In what instances should he wear the medal if at all? Obviously he would not need to wear it to Troop Meetings and such. This is the Cub Scout Religious Medal.

Thanks!

The knot is for everyday wear.

The medal is for formal wear.

Sewing the knot on the uniform is what you do. For formal occasions, go ahead and wear the medal with the knot. No one will say 'boo' about it. Keep in mind that "formal occasions" is VERY seldom: Blue & Gold Banquet, District/Council Awards Banquet, Troop Court of Honor, etc.

The issue is that some people (usually kids) seem to want to wear the medal outside formal use. I was at a Merit Badge College event this past weekend and saw a few boys wearing their Eagle Medals. Not appropriate.

There is nothing in the insignia guide that states when a medal should or should not be worn. They can be worn ANYTIME. If an eagle wants to wear his eagle medal, more power to him at anytime in my opinion and is always appropriate.

In general knots are for informal wear. The insignia guide states "Cloth badges and embroidered square knots are representative of metal pin-on awards are are designed for the convenience of the wearer. Generally, when a cloth badge is worn, the metal one is not worn." So there is no hard rule about when to wear either and that the knots are for CONVENIENCE.(This message has been edited by gaucho)

The Religious Emblem Medals are not the sturdiest things under the sun. They tend to fall apart rather easily if they get banged, and bounced, around.

If your Scout wishes to wear the Religious Medals he has earned, since the medal is from the religious organization, the most appropriate time would be at a Scout Sunday celebration.