Differences in uniform pants

So I've observed 3 different types of scout pants on scoutstuff.com:

1) The traditional Supplex Nylon switch-back pants for $19.98

2) The Centennial Canvas/Cottom SWITCH-BACK PANTS FOR $39.99

3) The Centennial Supplex Nylon switch-back pants for $49.99

Honestly, I can't tell the difference between #1 and #3- and material appears to be the only difference in #2. Can someone please explain the evolution of the pants and what are you getting for the price difference? Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks.

Anthony

p.s. - I want to avoid knock-offs and look alikes. There are a variety of events I will be attending in the future that will require full class-A (e.g. National Scout Conference & Woodbadge @ Philmont).

The best I can tell:

Pants #3 are UNISEX and have an internal belt built in(and beltloops for external belt).And are centenial.

Pants # 1 are men/youth male pants and include the belt and BSA buckle.

Earlier this fall, I went and bought myself a leader shirt. The scout store had one shirt advertised for $9.00 and the others were $ 28.00 ( I think).

WEll, the more expensive shirt was centenial and the $9 was the old design. AS far as i can tell, the only difference was that the US Flag was already on the shirt and it had a tech pocket on the right sleeve.

Naturally, they did not have the old shirt in my size! LOL!

The cheaper pants listd are not centenial. Could be that National is just trying to get rid of them with a cheaper price. The physical difference MAY just be a pocket flap, a pocket inside a pocket or maybe pocket drain holes have brass ferrules around them. Something like that!

Oh, I'd get the cheaper pants. They are still official, and are still regulation too. Save some $$ and still be correct. Besides, when you wear those out, and have to buy a new pair, you won't have the choice by then.

Well, I guess that pretty much settles everything doesn't it? LOL!(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Anthony,

I suggest you try the pants on if possible. The cotton/canvas pants fit me differently than the nylon ones and I find the cotton/canvas ones more comfortable. I live in a cooler part of the country and in the summer wear the pants as shorts so the coolness of the nylon is not as important to me as it may be to some.

One difference I noted between nos. 1 and 3 is that #1 has about 6" zippers on the bottom hem to allow them to be removed over shoes or boots, the centennial pants lack this feature.

If you order the traditional switch-backs, be sure to get the right inseam length, as hemming them is a bit more complicated.

Regards,

DWS

Once,

You forgot the poly-wool uniform pants that aren't convertible. LOL

To be honest I say try em on before buying as you can easily go one to two sizes UP. I'm normally a XL in the waist, but wear the size L "new old pants" aka SwitchBacks with the zippers, and they are loose on me still.

Pants #1: Very cheaply sewn. My son ripped out two crotches just running around and doing 13 year old boy stuff at camp.

Pants #2: Son prefers the feel of this fabric and the new belt which goes with them.

Pants #3: Dry faster.

The big difference in between #1 and #3 is the zipper on the bottom of the legs. BSA did away with it for the new Centennial pants, I believe due to complaints about difficulty in hemming.

The reason for the difference in price is that pants #1 are discontinued, and BSA is trying to get rid of overstock.

The differences between the old and centenial shirts and pants have been hashed out here in detail. These include difference in material, the cut, size and type of pockets. For instance the centenial pants are longer in the inseem to the zip off part. This allows for a larger cargo pocket, one that is large enough now for the scout handbook. My only problem with that is the zipper is right below the knee and when I kneel down my knee fall right on the zipper. But I have learned to cinch my pants up when I kneel now.

We have heard that national did a survey of scouts after the original switchback pants came out, and found that the boys thought that shorts that did not come below the knee where not cool. Current styles are to have the shorts come below the knee. So the new switchback pants do that. The new switchback zipper is not below the knee.

In our council, as in many, you will see scouts and scouters mixing and matching new and old uniform pieces. They are all still good. All past uniforms are still "official" uniforms, even the heavy green shirts and red trimmed pants I wore as a kid. You just can't buy them anymore (except maybe on EBAY).