Ditch Red wool jac_adopt Red Fleece Jacket

Working around campfires, give me wool any day over flammables. I have burn holes in the sleeves of my red wool that would have been disastrous had it not been for the retardant qualities of wool. Because "No flames in tents", is reflective of their nylon flammability, I don't hang around campfires with boys poking sparks into the night sky in a non-wool garment. Cotton, burns a bit, but will not burn the way melted man-made fibers do.

Stosh

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in these parts when a long-time Scouter passes away, there will be a large number of Scouters attending the funeral in uniform. If the weather is cool to cold, most will be wearing the red wool jac-shirt. At some funerals, there will be a sea of red where all the Scouters are sitting, which I think is a great sign of respect for the deceased. If you aren't wearing the jac-shirt, you can feel like a fish out of water. For traditional Scouters, this is the only jacket.

I have a number of Scouting jackets, both wool, fleece, and nylon. Wood Badge QM's offer a couple of jackets for the courses in our council. We even have a forest green Troop jacket (from a licensed BSA provider, of course), which is a polyurethane-coated nylon exterior with fleece interior. http://www.trimountain.com/pd-529.aspx We have them embroidered with our Troop name, BSA emblem and "Dunwoody, GA" on the left chest. They are a very good bargain, around $36 for youth and $38 for adults. They hold up very well.