Formal Wear - miniature medals

I can see all the little boy scout leaders in formal wear with a whole load of hardware on their chest, what a ridiculous sight and notion you guys need to grow up. What an insult to our military who really earned their medals through blood, personal sacrifice, or loss of a limb, you all ought to be ashamed.

BP, in my last 3 assignments, I spent many, many evenings in military formal wear (graduations, banquets, ceremonies). While the concern for military recognition is admirable, I think there is little chance of someone confusing military decorations with scout items.

Personally, I would not wear scouting accouterments in civilian formal wear, except for the Eagle medal during an Eagle ceremony (even then, that's a maybe). In my military uniform, I wear only what is required--no optional items. Scout uniform, same--less is more.

But that's me. Others feel differently. For them, I think volunteers should have some flexibility in what they wear, within the bounds of good taste and proper decorum.

Desert,

Understand the less is more philosophy and have no qualms about it. As you know I am of the "wear what you earn" philosophy as I try my best to make the recognitions into inpirational tools to keep foks motivated about Scouting.

However at an ECOH, I would ask that you strongly look into wearing them for several reasons. 1) it is further proof of the rare achievement that is Eagle, especially if they ask all Eagles to come forward. 2) It shows folks what Eagles become as adults: responsible and capable men, and 3) it inspires those still on the trail to continue forward.

While along the trail, I always looked up to those who were Eagle. And whiel the knot is nice and I do where it, that medal, for whatever reason, really hits home.